Robert made his will in St Peter in ThanetG on 22 November 1498, naming as beneficiaries his wife Joan, his sons Richard, Robert, and John, and his daughters Alice, Katherine, and Helen.1 He left his land and tenement to his son Richard, the use of half being retained by Robert's widow while she remained unmarried. Richard's inheritance was conditional upon his paying to his brother John £1 each year for five years. Robert left cows, sheep, and grain to his wife. He left eight sheep to his daughter Alice, and two quarters of grain to his daughters, Katherine and Helen. The will was proved in the Archdeaconry Court of CanterburyG on 7 January 1498/99.
It is assumed from the will that Robert’s children were then of age, there being no indication to the contrary. His daughter Alice is known to have been married by then, being named in the will as Alice Walter. On the assumption of his having six adult children, Robert is reckoned to have been at least in his fifties at death; his birth date is accordingly estimated at say 1440.
Robert witnessed the will of Solomon Sakett, made at St Peter in Thanet in November 1490. He was also a feoffee (trustee) of the real property of John Sakett of St Peter in Thanet and was executor of the will of William Sakett made at St Peter in 1498.
Date: 22 November 1498.
Proved: Archdeaconry Court of Canterbury, 7 January 1498/99.
Source: Kent Archives Office, PRC 17-7-78.
Burial: St Peter's graveyard.
Wife Joan, _ cows, 6 sheep, 3 quarters grain, half lands & tenement while unmarried.
Son Richard, lands & tenement, paying his brother John £5 yearly.
Sons Robert & John.
Daughter Alice [Walter?], 8 sheep.
Daughter Katherine, 2 quarters grain.
Daughter Helen, 2 quarters grain.
Feoffees: Robert Samwell, Edward Hubered?, 12d each.
Witnesses: Sir Hugh Hogh vicar of St Peter, Simon _olney, Robert Sammett, Thoms Spracking, William Hobbett.
Children of Robert Sakett and Joan ___
- Alice Sakett b. probably before 1477, d. after 1498
- Katherine Sakett b. probably before 1477, d. probably after 1549
- Helen Sakett b. probably before 1477, d. after 1498
- Richard Sackett the elder+1 b. probably before 1477, d. 1549
- Robert Sakett b. probably before 1477, d. after 1498
- John Sakett b. probably before 1477, d. after 1498
|Charts||Line 1 (English)|
Notes & Citations
- Will of Robert Sakett of St Peter in Thanet, Kent, 22 November 1498, proved in the Archdeaconry Court of Canterbury, 7 January 1498/99 (Kent Archives Office, PRC 17-7-78).
|Last Edited||29 August 2019|