William Aaron Sackett MD
|Father||William Chester Sackett (1827-1902)|
|Mother||Harriet L Galbraith (1837-1906)|
In 1870 William was living in CopleyG in the household of his parents William and Harriet, and was recorded in the census as William A Sackett, aged four and born in Ohio.9
In 1880 he was living in CopleyG in the household of his parents William and Harriet, and was recorded as William A Sackett, aged 14.10
In 1900 he was living at Munster Avenue, AkronG, and was recorded as W A Sackett, a physician, aged 34, single. He was a roomer in the household of Taylor Elliott.11
In 1910 he was living at South Main Street, AkronG, and was recorded as William H [sic] Sackett, a physician, head of household, aged 44, single.12
In 1920 he was living at Rose Avenue, AkronG, and was recorded as William A Sackett, a physician, head of household, aged 53. He owned his home freehold. His wife Della, 57, was lving with him.13
William was listed in the Akron City Directory from 1899 until his death in 1925. His widow Della was listed there from 1926 to 1931.14
Della was appointed executrix of William's estate on 5 May 1925.15
William C. Sackett was born at Warren, Connecticut, in October, 1827, and died in Summit County, in November, 1902. He was a son of Aaron and Huldah Camilla (Tanner) Sackett, and was ten years old when his parents emigrated to Tallmadge Township, Summit County. He was a representative man of his section, deeply interested in its development and evinced public spirit and enterprise. In 1851 he went to California, later to Oregon, and after four years in the far West, he returned to Ohio. Here he purchased a large farm from George Sackett, his brother, and carried on extensive agricultural pursuits until 1893, when he moved to a farm in Portage Township. Here he continued to reside until 1898, removing then to a farm he bought in Coventry Township, where his death occurred. For a period of five years he was president of the Summit County Agricultural Society. On March 18, 1857, he married Harriet L. Galbraith, who was a daughter of Henry H. and Ann (Langworthy) Galbraith.
Dr. W. A. Sackett graduated from the Akron High School in 1885, and from Oberlin College in 1890, with the degree of A.B. In 1893 he was graduated from the Medical Department of the University of Pennsylvania, and the A.M. degree has since been conferred on him by Oberlin College. Dr. Sackett immediately located at Akron, where he has met with hearty recognition. He is a member of the Summit County, the Ohio State Sixth Councilor District and the American Medical Association.
Until her lamented death in January, 1906, the venerable mother of Dr. Sackett resided upon the farm in Coventry Township. She was born at Mogadore, Summit County, Ohio, July 25, 1837, and was a daughter of Henry Galbraith, who was born near Belfast, Ireland. He came to Canada in boyhood and in 1836 to Summit County, where he became a well-known citizen. He survived until 1893. Fraternally, Dr. Sackett is a Mason. Religiously, he is a member of the First Congregational Church.
—William B Doyle, Centennial history of Summit County, Ohio and representative citizens
Notes & Citations
- William B Doyle, Centennial history of Summit County, Ohio and representative citizens (Chicago, IL: Biographical Pub. Co., 1908).
- Death record.
- Marriage record.
- "Directory of Deceased American Physicians, 1804–1929", database, Ancestry.com, "William Aaron Sackett, b. 1866, d. Akron, OH, 23 Apr 1925, practice Allopath, license OH 1896, medical school University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, cause of death heart disease."
- "Ohio Deaths, 1908–1953", digital image, FamilySearch, "William A. Sackett, 59 years 27 days, b. Akron, Ohio, 27 Mar 1866, married, physician, of 11 Rose St, d. Akron, Summit, Ohio, 23 Apr 1925, bur. Glendale Cem., 25 Apr 1925, spouse Della, father Wm. C. Sackett b. Conn., mother Harriet Galbraith b. Ohio, informant R F Hamlin[?], Akron, Ohio. Certificate 25540. Digital image 2317, film 1992670."
- Website Find a Grave.
- "Summit County, Ohio, Marriage Records, 1840–1980", digital image, Ancestry.com, "30 Sep 1915, at Summit County, Ohio, William A Sackett, age 49 on 27 Mar 1915, of 624 S Main St, Akron, OH, b. Akron, physician, 1st m., father William C Sackett, mother Harriet Galbraith; to Della A Stotler, age 52 on 18 Dec 1914, of 982 N Exchange St, Akron, b. Harrisburg, PA, 2nd m., a widow, father David R Shaffer, mother Harriet Cornelius. By John J McAlpine, Minister of the Gospel."
- "Ohio Deaths, 1908–1953", digital image, FamilySearch, "Della A. Sackett, 73 years 5 months 17 days, b. Penna, 18 Dec 1861, widowed, housewife, of 11 Rose Blvd., Akron, d. Akron, Summit, Ohio, 4 Jun 1935, bur. Glendale Cem, 6 Jun 1935, spouse Wm. A., father David Shaffer b. Penna, mother Harriet Cornelius b. Penna, informant Harry Shaffer, Akron. Certificate 39798. Digital image 1594, film 2022521."
- 1870 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll: M593_1270; Page: 171B; Family History Library Film: 552769
Copley, Summit County, Ohio, 13 Aug 1870
Sackett, William C, 43, farmer & sawmill proprietor, real estate $30,000, personal estate $3,400, b. CT
Sackett, Harriet L, 34, keeping house, b. OH
Sackett, Clarance H, 12, attending school, b. OH
Sackett, William A, 4, at home, b. OH
Sackett, Aaron, 80, at home, b. CT.
- 1880 US census, database, LDS, FamilySearch, FHL 1255069 NA T9-1069/167A
Copley, Summit, Ohio
William C. Sackett, head, married, 52, b. CT, farmer & dairyman, father b. CT, mother b. CT
Harriet L. Sackett, wife, 42, b. OH, keeping house, father b. Scotland, mother b. NY
William A. Sackett, son, 14, b. OH, at school, father b. CT, mother b. OH.
- 1900 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Page: 14; Enumeration District: 0071; FHL microfilm: 1241324
Munster Ave, Akron, Summit County, Ohio, 13 Jun 1900
Sackett, W A, roomer, b. Mar 1866, 34, single, b. OH, father b. OH, mother b. OH, physician
[In household of Taylor Elliott].
- 1910 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll: T624_1234; Page: 13B; Enumeration District: 0161; FHL microfilm: 1375247
South Main Street, Akron, Summit County, Ohio, 26 Apr 1910
Sackett, William H [sic], head, 44, single, b. OH, father b. KY [sic], mother b. OH, physician, office, own account
Schlabach, Irvin, partner, 35, single, b. PA, father b. PA, mother b. PA, trained nurse, private family
Pinnicks, Eva J, boarder, 33, wd, b. NE, father b. OH, mother b. IN, strip cutter, rubber shop
Pinnicks, Tressie C, boarder, 15, b. OH, father b. OH, mother b. NE, laborer, rubber shop.
- 1920 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll: T625_1438; Page: 2A; Enumeration District: 152
Rose Ave, Akron, Summit County, Ohio, 3-5 Jan 1920
Sackett, William A, head, home owned freehold, 53, married, b. OH, father b. CT, mother b. OH, physician, medical, own account
Sackett, Della A, wife, 57, b. PA, father b. PA, mother b. PA.
- "US City Directories, 1822-1995", digital image, Ancestry.com, Akron City Directory, 1899, "Sackett William A, physician and surgeon, office and res Messer Block cor Main and Bartges, Tel 690, hours until 9:30 a m, 2 to 4 and 7 to 8 p m."; 1904, "Sackett Wm A, physician and surgeon, office and res Messer Block 624 S Main cor Bartges, both Phones 690, hours until 9 a m, 3 to 5 and 7 to 8 p m."; 1907, "Sackett Wm A, physician and surgeon, office and res 624 S Main cor Bartges, Messer Block, both Phones, hours 9 to 11 am, 2 to 4 and 7 to 8 pm."; 1909, "Sackett Wm A, physician 624 S Main, res same."; 1910, "Sackett Wm A, physician and surgeon, office and res 624 S Main cor Bartges, Phones Bell 690, People's 1690."; 1911, "Sackett Wm A, physician 624 S Main, res same."; 1912, "Sackett Wm A, physician and surgeon office and res 624 S Main cor Bartges, Phones Bell 690, People's 1690."; 1913, 1914, "Sackett Wm A, physician 624 S Main, res same."; 1915, "Sackett Wm A physician and surgeon office and res 624 S Main hours until 9 a m and 2 to 4 p m Bell 690 People's 1690."; 1916, "Sackett Wm A (Della A) physician and surgeon 624 S Main hours 8 to 9 a m and 2 to 4 p m, Phones Bell 690 O S 1690 res 772 Ardmore ave, Phones Bell 4666 O S 8184."; 1918, "Sackett Wm A (Della A) physician 624 S Main res 772 Ardmore ave."; 1922, "Sackett Wm A (Della A) physician and surgeon 701 Herberich Bldg. h 11 Rose blvd."; 1926, "Sackett Mrs Della A (wid Dr Wm A) h 11 Rose blvd."; 1931, "Sackett Mrs Della A (wid Wm A) h 11 Rose blvd."
- The Akron Beacon Journal (Akron, Ohio), digital image, Newspapers.com, 25 May 1925, p 24
"Notice of Appointment
Estate of William A. Sackett, deceased.
Notice is hereby given that Della A. Sackett, 11 Rose av., Akron, Ohio, has been duly appointed and qualified as executrix of the estate of William A. Sackett, late of Summit County, Ohio, deceased.
Lewis D. Slusser, Probate Judge of Summit County, O.
May 5, 1925. May 11 18 25."
|See also||The Sacketts of America, 6788 |
Thurmon King's Database, 3669
Histories of Summit County, Ohio.
|Sackett line||8th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||29 Apr 2019|