Robert Emory Sackett
|Father||Robert Sackett (1819-1873)|
|Mother||Laura Jane Smith (c 1827-)|
In 1860 Robert was living in Eckford, Calhoun County, MichiganG, in the household of his parents Robert and Laura, and was recorded in the census as Robert E Sacket, aged seven and born in New York.6
In 1870 Robert was living in EckfordG in the household of his parents Robert and Laura, and was recorded in the census as Emery Sackett, aged 17.7
In 1880 Robert was living at Cedar Rapids, Linn County, IowaG, and was recorded in the census as Robert E Sackett, a clerk, head of household, aged 27 and born in New York. Living with him was his wife Dana, 23.8
In 1900 he was living at Barry Avenue, Chicago, IllinoisG, and was recorded as Robert E Sacket, employed in life insurance, head of household, aged 47. Living with him was his second wife Juliet, 44. He rented his home. Also in the household were a female housekeeper and her son, an insurance clerk.9
5239. Robert Emory Sackett, 1851–, of 4456 Prairie Ave., Chicago, Ill., son of (2607) Robert and Laura Jane Smith Sackett, was married at Marshall, Mich., Aug. 31, 1886, to Juliet Huldah Richfield, daughter of William C. Richfield and his wife Caroline Harris.
Mr. Sackett was educated in the common schools of Michigan and in Olivet College, where he was a student at the time of his father's death in 1872. He then gave up his studies, and for the next two years or more adapted himself to carrying on the work of the farm which had belonged to his father. At the end of that period he went west and located in Cedar Rapids, where he found employment with the Sioux City & Pacific Railroad Company, and remained with that road, in the capacity of bookkeeper and paymaster, until it was absorbed by the Chicago and Western Railroad Company in the year 1880. Mr. Sackett was then offered and accepted the position of cashier with the First National Bank of Dennison, Iowa. In the year 1882 he resigned this office and returned to the Sioux City & Pacific Railroad, and was placed in charge of the company's lands at Sioux City, Iowa. A few years later, having disposed of the lands of that company, he became and served as clerk of the District Court of Woodbury County, at Sioux City. In 1894 he became secretary of the Iowa Life Insurance Company, with headquarters in Chicago. In 1900 the business of that company was absorbed by the National Life Insurance Company of the United States of America, when Mr. Sackett accepted a similar post in the last named company, which he held until 1906, when he was advanced to that of vice-president.
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "5239. Robert Emory Sackett, b. Nov. 11, 1851; m. Julia Hulda Richfield."
- Census and marriage records suggest he was born in Nov 1852, not 1851.
- "Michigan, Marriage Records, 1867–1952", digital image, Ancestry.com, "24 Dec 1879, at Albion, Calhoun County, Michigan, Robert E Sackett, 27, of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, b. Pittsford, NY, bookkeeper; to Mandana G Warner, 24, of Albion, b. Albion. By Geo E Hickey, Minister. Witnesses: H L Phelps of Cedar Rapids, Iowa; R Belle Warner, of Albion."
- Marriage record.
- "Michigan, Marriage Records, 1867–1952", digital image, Ancestry.com, "31 Aug 1886, at Marshall, Calhoun County, Michigan, Robert Sackett, 34, of Sioux City, Iowa, b. Pittsford, NY, loan broker; to Julia H Richfield, 30, of Toledo, Ohio, b. Eckford, Calhoun Co. By E Cooley, Minister M E Church. Witnesses: Edna M Richfield of Toledo, Anna M Sackett of Eckford."
- 1860 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Page 46, FHL film 803539
Eckford, Calhoun, Michigan
Sacket, Robert, 41, farmer, real estate $5000, personal estate $1300, b. NY
Sacket, Laura J, 34, house keeper, b. NY
Sacket, Albert H, 14, b. NY
Sacket, Levi W, 9, b. NY
Sacket, Robert E, 7, b. NY
Sacket, Lewis D, 1, b. MI
Rickey, Henry, 23, farm laborer, b. MI
Rapser, William, 17, farm laborer, b. PA
Eddy, Margaret, 28, domestic, b. MI.
- 1870 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll M593_666, p 563B, FHL film 552165
Eckford, Calhoun, Michigan, 2 Aug 1870
Sackett, Robert, 51, farmer, real estate $12000, personal estate $2656, b. NY
Sackett, Laura, 42, keeping house, b. NY
Sackett, Albert, 24, farm laborer, b. NY
Sackett, Wallace, 19, at home, b. NY
Sackett, Emery, 17, at home, b. NY
Sackett, Lewis, 11, at home, b. MI
Sackett, Fred, 8, b. MI
Sackett, Anna, 5, b. MI.
- 1880 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, 5th Ward, Cedar Rapids, Linn, Iowa
Robert E. Sackett, head, married, 27, b. NY, clerk, father b. NY, mother b. NY
Dana G. Sackett, wife, 23, b. MI, father b. MI, mother b. MI
FHL 1254351 NA T9-0351/138A.
- 1900 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll 286, p. 7B, Enumeration District 1013, FHL microfilm 1240286
Barrie Ave, Chicago Ward 32, Cook County, Illinois, 6 Jun 1900
Sacket, Robert E, head, b. Nov 1852, 47, m. 14y, b. NY, father b. NY, mother b. NY, occ. life insure, home rented
Sacket, Juliet H R, wife, b. Oct 1855, 44, m. 14y, no ch, b. MI, father b. NY, mother b. MI
Burkhard, Margaret, housekeeper, b. Oct 1860, 39, wd, 1 ch, living, b. IL, father b. Germany, mother b. Germany
Burkhard, Leopold, son [sic], b. Dec 1880, 19, b. IL, father b. Germany, mother b. IL, insure clerk.
|See also||Thurmon King's Database, 435|
|Sackett line||8th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||4 Feb 2021|