Ernest Henry Sackett
|Father||William Sackett (1847-1918)|
|Mother||Rachel Link (c 1843-1924)|
In 1881 Ernest was living at 8 Artillery Street, Canterbury, KentG, in the household of his parents William and Rachel, and was recorded in the census as Ernest H Sackett, aged six and born in Canterbury.10
In 1891 Ernest was living at 8 Artillery Street, Canterbury, KentG, in the household of his parents William and Rachel, and was recorded in the census as Ernest H Sackett, a gas works labourer, aged 16 and born in Canterbury.11
In 1911 he was living at 4 Underdown Cottages, Wincheap Street, CanterburyG, and was recorded as Ernest Henry Sackett, brewers' drayman, head of household, aged 36 and born in Canterbury. Living with him were his wife Rosetta, 37, and their children, Ivy, 5, and Rose, aged three.12
Ernest joined the National Union of Railwaymen at Ashford, KentG, on 24 July 1913. He worked as a hammerman and as a striker on the South Eastern and Chatham Railway and later as a sawmill labourer on the Southern Railway.13
At the outbreak of the Second World War in September 1939, Ernest and Rosetta were living at 31 Cudworth Road, AshfordG. Ernest was a metal assistant.14
Ernest was granted administration on 31 October 1942 of his wife Rosetta's estate, valued at £95.15
Children of Ernest Henry Sackett and Rosetta Paine
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
Notes & Citations
- GRO Indexes to Births, 1837 to date, "Sep qtr 1874. Sackett, Ernest Henry. Mother: Link. Canterbury. 2a:709."
- 1939 Register.
- Baptisms Register, St Mildred, Canterbury, Kent (Parish Register & Bishops' Transcript), "1 November 1874 Ernest Henry s. William & Rachel Sackett, Gas Row, lab."
- Website England & Wales Birth Index (GRO Civil Registration Index) (Ancestry.com) (http://search.ancestry.co.uk/), "Jun qtr 1962. Sackett, Ernest H, 87. Ashford. 5b:10."
- Marriages Register, St Mildred, Canterbury, Kent (Parish Register & Bishops' Transcript), "29 November 1902 Ernest Henry Sackett, 28, bachelor, gas fitter, of 3 Ivy Place, & Rosetta Paine, 29, spinster, of 16 Meadow Cottages. Fathers: Wm Sackett, engine driver; Leeds Henry Paine, dec'd, coachman. Witnesses: Olive Dunigan."
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Dec qtr 1902. Sackett, Ernest Henry. Canterbury. 2a:1935."
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Sep qtr 1942. Sackett, Rosetta, 70. Ashford."
- Probate record.
- 1881 England census, database, LDS, FamilySearch, FHL 1341229, PRO RG11/0962/14/21
8 Artillary St, Canterbury St Gregory, Kent
William SACKETT, head, married, 40, b. Deal, Kent, labr at gas works
Rachel SACKETT, wife, 40, b. Chartham, Kent
William E. SACKETT, son, unmarried, 18, b. Canterbury, Kent, grocers porter
Mary A. SACKETT, dau, 13, b. Canterbury
Louisa SACKETT, dau, 11, b. Canterbury, scholar
Olive SACKETT, dau, 9, b. Canterbury, scholar
Ernest H. SACKETT, son, 6, b. Canterbury, scholar
Percy SACKETT, son, 4, b. Canterbury, scholar
Jessie SACKETT, dau, 2, b. Canterbury
Bertie SACKETT, son, 1 month, b. Canterbury.
- 1891 Census for England & Wales, RG12/?
8 Artillery Street, Canterbury, Kent
William Sackett, head, married, 47, engine driver at gas works, b. Deal
Rachel Sackett, wife, 48, b. Chartham
William E Sackett, son, unm., 28, grocer's assistant, b. Canterbury
Olive Sackett, dau, unm., 19, housemaid domestic, b. Canterbury
Ernest H Sackett, son, 16, gas works lab., b. Canterbury
Percy Sackett, son, 14, confectioner's assistant, b. Canterbury
Jessie Sackett, dau, 12, scholar, b. Canterbury
Bertie Sackett, son, 10, scholar, b. Canterbury.
- 1911 England census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, 4 Underdown Cottages, Wincheap St, Canterbury, Kent
Ernest Henry Sackett, head, 36, married, drayman, brewers, worker, b. Canterbury
Rosetta Sackett, wife, 37, m. 8y, 3 ch, 2 living, b. London, Camden Town
Ivy Martha Sackett, dau, 5, [b. blank]
Rose Sackett, dau, 3, [b. blank].
- "Britain, Trade Union membership registers", digital image, Findmypast, "Sackett, Ernest, admitted National Union of Railwaymen, Ashford 2 branch, 24 Jul 1913, age 34, hammerman, railway SE&C."
"Sackett, Ernest, admitted National Union of Railwaymen, Ashford 2 branch, 18 Mar 1915, age 36, striker, railway SE&C."
"Sackett, Ernest, admitted National Union of Railwaymen, Ashford 2 branch, 16 Nov 1916, age 42, hammerman, railway SE&C."
"Sackett, Ernest, admitted National Union of Railwaymen, Ashford 2 branch, 6 May 1926, age 50, striker, railway South."
"Sackett, E, admitted National Union of Railwaymen, Ashford 2 branch, 9 Feb 1928, age 50, sawmill labourer, railway SR."
- "1939 Register", UK, digital image, Findmypast, Sackett household, 31 Cudworth Road, Ashford U D, Kent: RG101/1684F/002/39, Ernest H Sackett, b. 2 Sep 1874, married, metal assistant heavy worker; RG101/1684F/002/40, Rosita Sackett, b. 24 Jun 1872, married, unpaid domestic duties; Kenneth D Poulter, b. 1907, school master.
- "England & Wales National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills & Administrations) 1858–1966", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Sackett Rosetta of 31 Cudworth-road Willesborough Ashford Kent (wife of Ernest Harry Sackett) died 22 August 1942 at Cudworth-road Willesborough Administration Llandudno 31 October to the said Ernest Harry Sackett general labourer. Effects £95 18s."
|Sackett line||8th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder|
|Last Edited||13 November 2016|