Richard Edward Sackett
|Father||Henry Sackett (1841-1920)|
|Mother||Mary Ann Elizabeth Allen (1841-1913)|
In 1871 Richard was living at 86 Queen Street, Ramsgate, KentG, in the household of his parents Henry and Mary, and was recorded in the census as Richard E Sackett, aged three and born in Ramsgate.10
In 1881 he was living at House Decor Shop, 86 Queen Street, Ramsgate, KentG, in the household of his parents Henry and Mary, and was recorded as Richard E. Sackett, a scholar, aged 12 and born in Ramsgate.11
In 1891 he was living at 48 High Street, RamsgateG, in the household of his brother Harry, and was recorded as Richard E Sacketts, a house decorator, unmarried, aged 22 and born in Ramsgate.12
In 1901 he was living at 9 Wandsworth Road, Lambeth, LondonG, and was recorded as Richard Sackett, a sign writer, single, aged 36, and born in Ramsgate, a boarder in the household of Charles Peak, a self-employed letter maker (wood.)13
In 1911 he was living at 43 Munster Square, St Pancras, LondonG, and was recorded as Richard Edward Sackett, a sign and glass worker, head of household, married, aged 44 and born in Ramsgate. Living with him was his wife Ellen, aged 39.14
Richard emigrated sometime after 1911 to Australia. He served in the First World War, enlisting in the 3rd Battalion, Australian Imperial Force, on 10 November 1914.15 He stated on enlistment that he was unmarried.
At the outbreak of the Second World War in September 1939, Richard's widow Ellen was living at 95 Stanhope Street, St PancrasG. She was a "daily" houseworker.16
|Sackett line||8th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
Notes & Citations
- GRO Indexes to Births, 1837 to date, "Jun qtr 1868. Sackett, Richard Edward. Mother: Allen. Thanet. 2a:796."
- The Sydney Herald, (Sydney, New South Wales, Australia), 19 October 1933, p. 2,
"IN THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW SOUTH WALES
Probate Jurisdiction—In the Estate of RICHARD EDWARD SACKETT late of Manly in the State of New South Wales, Military Pensioner deceased—NOTICE is hereby given that the first Accounts of the Executor In the above Estate have this day been filed in my office Supreme Court, King street, Sydney and all persons having any claim on the said Estate or being otherwise interested therein are hereby required to come in before me at my office on or before the seventeenth day of November next at 11:15 o'clock in the forenoon and inspect the same and if they shall think fit object thereto otherwise if the said accounts be not objected to the same will be examined by me and passed according to law Dated this eighteenth day of October one thousand nine hundred and thirty three. CHAS E BUTCHART (L. S.) Registrar. TRESS and COCKS. Proctors for the Executor. 117 Pitt street Sydney."
- Website Australia death index, 1787-1985 (Ancestry.co.uk) (http://www.ancestry.co.uk), "1933, Richard E Sackett, d. New South Wales, s. Henry Sackett, reg. Manly, NSW, 16796."
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Jun qtr 1903. Sackett, Richard Edward. Wandsworth. 1d:1319."
- GRO Indexes to Births, 1837 to date, "Jun qtr 1872. Wheeler, Helen Elizabeth. Mother: Sparry. Hereford. 6a:501."
- 1939 Register.
- Website England & Wales Death Index, 1837–1915 (GRO Civil Registration Index) (Ancestry.com) (http://search.ancestry.co.uk/), "Sep qtr 1946. Sackett, Ellen, 74. Pancras. 5d:267."
"Sep qtr 1946. Sackett, Helen E, 74. Pancras. 5d:267."
- Burials Register, St Pancras Cemetery, Middlesex (transcription, Deceased Online), "6 Sep 1946, Helen Elizb (aka Ellen) Sackett."
- 1871 Census for England & Wales, RG10/996/f4
86 Queen St., Ramsgate, Kent
Henry Sackett, head, married, 29, painter, b. Ramsgate
Mary A E Sackett, wife, 29, b. Lambeth
George W Sackett, son, 5, b. Ramsgate
Harry H Sackett, son, 4, b. Ramsgate
Richard E Sackett, son, 3, b. Ramsgate
Frederick C Sackett, son, 5 months, b. Ramsgate
Agnes E Wales, serv., unm., [age blank], general serv., b. Broadstairs
Alice R Harding, serv., unm., [age blank], nurse, b. St Mary's, Middlesex.
- 1881 Census for England & Wales, FHL 1341235, PRO RG11/0989/4/2,
86 Queen Street, House Decor Shop, Ramsgate, Kent
Henry Sackett, head, married, 39, b. Ramsgate, house decorator employg 7 men 4 boys
Mary E. Sackett, wife, 39, b. Middlesex
George W. Sackett, son, 15, b. Ramsgate, assistant to head
Henry W. Sackett, son, 14, b. Ramsgate, assistant to head
Richard E. Sackett, son, 12, b. Ramsgate, scholar
Frederick C. Sackett, son, 11, b. Ramsgate, scholar
Florence M. Sackett, dau, 8, b. Ramsgate, scholar
Ellen E. Sackett, dau, 6, b. Ramsgate, scholar
Ernest A. Sackett, son, 3, b. Ramsgate
Harriet Tulford, servt, 16, b. Barham, Kent, general servt domestic.
- 1891 Census for England & Wales, RG12/730/f5
48 High St, Ramsgate, Kent
Harry H Sacketts, head, unm, 24, house decorator, b. Ramsgate
Richard E Sacketts, bro, unm, 22, house decorator, b. Ramsgate.
- 1901 Census for England & Wales, 414/118v
9 Wandsworth Road
Richard Sackett, boarder, single, 36, sign writer, b. Ramsgate, Kent
In household of Charles Peak, 48, letter maker (wood), own account, and Elizabeth Peak, 46.
- 1911 England census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, RG14, piece 65843 Munster Sq, St Pancras, London NW
Richard Edw Sackett, head, 44, married, m. 8y, no ch, sign & glass miller? [word overwritten], worker, b. Ramsgate, Kent
Ellen Sackett, wife, 39, m. 8y, b. Herefordshire.
- Website National Archives of Australia, Australian Imperial Force, Enlistment Papers (http://naa12.naa.gov.au/), Australian Imperial Force. Attestation Paper of Persons Enlisted for Service Abroad.
"22/448, Sackett, Richard E; unit: 3rd Bat N&M; joined: 10th Nov 1914.
Richard Edward Sackett, b. Ramsgate, Kent, England, British subject, 44 years & 8 months, decorator, single, next of kin (father) Henry Sackett, 86 Queen St, Ramsgate, Kent, England; civil convictions?: no; ever discharged from HM Forces?: no; any military service?: no; ever rejected as unfit for HM Service?: no; signed: Richard E Sackett, 12th Nov 1914."
- "1939 Register", UK, digital image, Findmypast, Sackett household, 95 Stanhope Street, St Pancras, London: RG101/0473G/012/10, Ellen Sackett, b. 15 Apr 1872, married, daily housework.
|Last Edited||16 November 2016|