Dorothy May Sackett
|Father||Rev Alfred Barrett Sackett (1862-1951)|
|Mother||Lydia Anne Sandford (1859-1949)|
In 1901 Dorothy was living at 57 Spencer Place, Potter Newton, Leeds, Yorkshire West RidingG, in the household of her parents Alfred and Lydia, and was recorded in the census as Dorothy M Sackett, aged one and born in Colchester, Essex.4
During Dorothy's childhood, her father was serving as Chaplain to the Forces in Gibraltar and she made the journey between England and Gibraltar several times. The first listing of a voyage was on the Olympia when she travelled back with her mother, arriving in Liverpool from Gibraltar on 24 July 1909.5 Dorothy and her brother Alfred attended school in England. They travelled to Gibraltar each July (1912, 1913, 1914) at the start of the long school holiday, returning in September for the next term.6,7,8 Dorothy, now a student aged 17, made a further return journey on 8 September 1916, arriving in London from Gibraltar on the Malwa. Her UK address was Preston Lane, Birkenhead.9
In 1921 she was living at 57 Banbury Road, OxfordG, in the household of George and Alice Salter, and was recorded as Dorothy May Sackett, a science student at Bedford College, London University, aged 22. Also in the household was George and Alice's daughter Dorothy Salter who was later to marry Dorothy Sackett's brother Alfred Barrett Sackett.10
At the outbreak of the Second World War in September 1939, Dorothy was living at Ash Lodge, Lubbock Road, Chislehurst, KentG. She was the head teacher of a secondary school.11
Dorothy and her brother Alfred proved their father Alfred's will on 28 April 1951. His estate was valued at £3,062.12
Notes & Citations
- General Register Office, Online Index to Births, "Sep qtr 1899. Sackett, Dorothy May. Mother: Sandford. Colchester. 4a:713."
- 1939 Register.
- "England & Wales deaths 1837–2006" (Findmypast transcript), "Dec 1986. Sackett, Dorothy May, b. 28 May 1899. Preston & South Ribble. 40:1950:1286."
- 1901 England census
"57 Spencer Place, Potter Newton, Leeds, Yorkshire West Riding
Alfred B Sackett, head, married, 38, Wesleyan minister, b. Derringstone, Kent
Lydia A Sackett, wife, 41, b. Liverpool, Lancashire
Alfred B Sackett, son, 6, b. Strood, Kent
Dorothy M Sackett, dau, 1, b. Colchester, Essex
Alice Lowe, serv, single, 20, general servant (domestic), b. Little Oakley."
- "UK Incoming Passenger Lists 1878–1960" (Ancestry image), "Mrs R Sackett, British, Olympia first class, arr. 24 Jul 1909 Liverpool, from Gibraltar
Miss Dorothy Sackett, British, Olympia first class, arr. 24 Jul 1909 Liverpool, from Gibraltar."
- "UK Outward Passenger Lists 1890–1960" (Ancestry image), "Mr A B Sackett, age 12+, Miss D M Sackett, age 12+, dep. London, 26 Jul 1912, to Gibraltar, 2nd class, ship Mooltan, P & O Steam Navigation Co."
"Mr A B Sackett, age 12+, Miss D M Sackett, age 12+, dep. London, 25 Jul 1913, to Gibraltar, 2nd class, ship Mooltan, P & O Steam Navigation Co."
"Master A B Sackett, age 12+, Miss D M Sackett, age 12+, dep. London, 24 Jul 1914, to Gibraltar, 2nd class, ship Maloja, P & O Steam Navigation Co."
- "UK Incoming Passenger Lists 1878–1960" (Ancestry image), "Mrs Sackett, Anchor Line Castalia, 1st class, arr. 2 Sep 1912 Liverpool, from Gibraltar
Miss Sackett, Anchor Line Castalia, 1st class, arr. 2 Sep 1912 Liverpool, from Gibraltar."
- "UK Incoming Passenger Lists 1878–1960" (Ancestry image), "Miss Dorothy Sackett, Arabia arr. 25 Sep 1914 London, from Bombay, India
Master Alfred Sackett, Arabia arr. 25 Sep 1914 London, from Bombay, India [recorded in list of passengers from Bombay, but ship called at several ports en route; probably embarked at Gibraltar]."
- "UK Incoming Passenger Lists 1878–1960" (Ancestry image), "Dorothy M Sackett, 17, British, student, Malwa 2nd class, arr. 8 Sep 1916 London, from Gibraltar, UK address Clovernork[?], Preston Lane, Birkenhead, last permanent residence Gibraltar, intended permanent residence England."
- 1921 England census
57 Banbury Road, St Giles, Oxford, Oxfordshire
George Stephen Salter, head, 62y 5m, married, b. Oxford, Oxfordshire, boat builder, employer, Folly Bridge, Oxford
Alice Eleanor Salter, wife, 48y 9m, married, b. Oxford, home duties
Dorothy Eleanor Salter, daughter, 23y 3m, single, b. Oxford, education student, Goldsmith College, London University
Edith Frances Salter, daughter, 18y 3m, single, b. Oxford
Dorothy May Sackett, visitor, 22y, single, b. Colchester, Essex, science student, Bedford College, London University
[+ 3 other visitors/students & a female servant].
- "1939 Register" (Findmypast image), Sackett household, Ash Lodge, Lubbock Road, Chislehurst and Sidcup U D, Kent: RG101/1242C/003/40, Dorothy M Sackett, b. 28 May 1899, single, school teacher (head, secondary school).
- "England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills & Administrations), 1858–1995" (Ancestry image), "Sackett Alfred Barrett of 70 Priestfields Rochester died 28 January 1951 at St Bartholomews Hospital Rochester Probate London 28 April to Alfred Barrett Sackett schoolmaster and Dorothy May Sackett spinster. Effects £3062 18s. 8d."
|Sackett line||9th great-granddaughter of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Descendants of Jeremiah Sackett|
|Last Edited||15 Oct 2022|