|Father||Jeremiah Sackett (1836-1918)|
|Mother||Sarah File (1838-1896)|
In 1871 Leonard was living at Townland Green, Woodchurch, KentG, in the household of his parents Jeremiah and Sarah, and was recorded in the census as Leonard Sackett, aged two and born in Barham, Kent.4
Leonard emigrated to Australia in 1889, arriving in VictoriaG from London on the Austral on 22 November 1889.5
When off duty from his catering business, Leonard was an enthusiastic billiards player, although losing in the final of the Cooma Billiard Club tournament of 1905.6
Leonard moved from Cooma, New South WalesG, to Lismore, NSW, in 1907. He was evidently held in high esteem by the residents of Cooma as they presented him with an illuminated address prior to his departure.7
In 1913, 1914, and 1915 Leonard was recorded in the Sands Directory as a caterer, living in Lismore, New South WalesG.8
Probate of Leonard's will was granted to his widow Martha in about June 1917.9
A weatherboard fruit and confectionery shop in Magellan Street, Lismore, owned by Leonard's widow, Martha, caught fire in 1933 and again in 1934. The prompt action of the fire brigade saved it from destruction.10
Children of Leonard Sackett and Martha Laetitia Sweeney
Notes & Citations
- GRO Indexes to Births, 1837 to date, "Mar qtr 1869. Sackett, Leonard. Mother: File. Bridge. 2a:728."
- Website Australia death index, 1787-1985 (Ancestry.co.uk) (http://www.ancestry.co.uk), "1917, Leonard Sackett, d. New South Wales, s. Jeremiah Sackett & Sarah, reg. Lismore, NSW, 8779."
- Website Australia marriage index, 1788-1949 (Ancestry.co.uk) (http://www.ancestry.co.uk), "1897, Leonard Sackett & Martha L Sweeney, Cootamundra, New South Wales, reg. 899."
- 1871 England census, digital image, Ancestry.com, RG10, piece 955, folio 56, p 25, GSU roll 827245,
"Townland Green, Woodchurch, Kent
Jeremiah Sackett, head, married, 34, carrier, b. Kent, Hythe
Sarah Sackett, wife, 32, b. Elizabeth Town, New Jersey, America
Alfred B Sackett, son, 8, b. Kent, Barham
George F Sackett, son, 7, b. Kent, Barham
Walter Sackett, son, 6, b. Kent, Barham
Susannah Sackett, dau, 4, b. Kent, Barham
Sarah A Sackett, dau, 3, b. Kent, Barham
Leonard Sackett, son, 2, b. Kent, Barham
Bertha Sackett, dau, 10 mos, b. Kent, Barham
George B File, visitor, married, 25, miller & baker, b. Kent, Barham."
- Website Victoria, Australia, Assisted and Unassisted Passenger Lists 1839–1923 (Ancestry.co.uk) (http://www.ancestry.co.uk), PROV, 7666, Inward Overseas Passenger Lists (British Ports), "Leonard Sackett, 21, English, arrival 22 Nov 1889, arrival port: Adelaide, King George Sound, Melbourne & Sydney, departure port: London, ship: Austral."
- The Sydney Herald, (Sydney, New South Wales, Australia), 16 March 1905, p. 4,
Cooma, yesterday. In the Cooma Billiard Club Tournament Final L. Shannon (60 behind) beat L. Sackett (15 on) by 32."
- Website Australian Newspapers (http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/), The Sydney Morning Herald, 11 March 1907, p. 5.
The Postmaster-General has given directions for the establishment of a mail service twice a week between Jlndabyne and Charlotte’s Pass, Mount Kosciusko, and various camps.
Prior to leaving Cooma for Lismore, Mr. Leonard Sackett was presented with an illuminated address by the residents."
- Website Sands Directory of Sydney & New South Wales, Australia, 1858–1933 (Ancestry.co.uk) (http://www.ancestry.co.uk), 1913 edition, p 128B, "Sackett, Leonard, caterer, Lismore."
1914 edition, p 132B, "Sackett, Leonard, caterer, Lismore."
1915 edition, p 142B, "Sackett, Leonard, caterer, Lismore."
- The Sydney Herald, (Sydney, New South Wales, Australia).
- The Sydney Herald, (Sydney, New South Wales, Australia), 12 January 1934, p. 10,
"Fire at Lismore
... . Good work by the brigade saved from destruction by a fire a weatherboard fruit and confectionery shop In Magellan-street Lismore owned by Mrs M. Sackett and occupied by Mrs Andrews. This was the second outbreak in the same building in a few months. The building is insured for £300, and the contents were covered for £200."
|Sackett line||8th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
Descendants of Jeremiah Sackett
|Last Edited||3 Apr 2020|