Thomas Edward Sackett
|Father||Jabez Sackett (1840-1925)|
|Mother||Sarah Anne "Annie" Young (1842-1915)|
In 1881 Thomas was living at North Gate, Walkington, YorkshireG, and was recorded in the census as Thomas E Sackett, a scholar, aged three and born in Walkington, son of Jabez Sackett.9
In 1891 he was living at 4 Collings Road, St Peter Port, GuernseyG, in the household of his father Jabez, and was recorded as Thomas Sackett, a grocer's assistant, aged 18 [actually 13], and born in Yorkshire.10
In 1901 he was living at Duveaux Lodge, St Sampson's, GuernseyG, in the household of his parents Jabez and Sarah, and was recorded as Thomas E Sackett, a vinery foreman (employed), aged 23 and born in England.11
In 1911 he was living at 2 Plympton Place, Rohais Road, St Peter PortG, and was recorded as Thomas E Sackett, a bookkeeper in a retail butchery, head of household, aged 33, and born in Walkington. Living with him were his wife Florence, 34, and their children, Edgar, 8, and Roland, aged four.12
Thomas served in the British Army during the First World War as an Acting Unpaid Lance Corporal in the Yorkshire Hussars. He enlisted on 30 June 1918 and was discharged on 18 January 1919 as "surplus to military requirements, having suffered impairment since entry into the service."13,14
In 1929 Thomas was living at 75 Monton Street, Manchester, LancashireG.15
At the outbreak of the Second World War in September 1939, Thomas and Florence were living at Cartref Melies?, St Asaph Road, St Asaph, Flintshire, WalesG. Thomas was a cashier-clerk in a wholesale fruit business.16
Thomas was a lifelong local preacher in the Methodist church. His son Edgar said that his father never spoke from notes but was so well prepared that he knew exactly what he would want to say. Thomas's grandson Ralph Sackett heard his grandfather preach in a small Welsh church at Mynytho, near Pwllheli, where he retired when he remarried in 1946.17,18
Thomas proved his wife Florence's will on 11 December 1944. Her estate was valued at £1,519.19
Thomas left a will which was proved on 17 March 1960 by his widow Winifred. His estate was valued at £4,620.20
Children of Thomas Edward Sackett and Florence Edith Le Page
Notes & Citations
- General Register Office, Online Index to Births, "Dec qtr 1877. Sackett, Thomas Edward. Mother: Young. Beverley. 9d:109."
- 1939 Register.
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Mar qtr 1960. Sackett, Thomas E, 82. Pwllheli."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Sep qtr 1944. Sackett, Florence E, 67. Merioneth N."
- Probate record.
- General Register Office, Online Index to Marriages, "Mar qtr 1946. Sackett, Thomas E. Spouse: Davis. Manchester. 8d:795."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Marriages, "Mar qtr 1946. David, Winifred. Spouse: Sackett. Manchester. 8d:795."
- 1881 Census for England & Wales, FHL 1342145, PRO RG11/4743/64/7
North Gate, Walkington, York
Jabez Sackett, head, married, 40, b. Hythe, Kent, schoolmaster
Sarah A. Sackett, wife, 38, b. Hythe
Lavinia Sackett, dau, 12, b. Woodchurch, Kent, scholar
Annie Sackett, dau, 11, b. Woodchurch, scholar
Frederick Sackett, son, 9, b. Elham, Kent, scholar
Lillie Sackett, dau, 7, b. Waltham, Lincoln, scholar
George Y. Sackett, son, 5, b. Waltham, scholar
Thomas E. Sackett, son, 3, b. Walkington, York, scholar
William S. Sackett, son, 1, b. Walkington
Charlotte Clark, visitor, unmarried, 40, b. Rye, Sussex, teacher (sch).
- 1891 Census for England & Wales, 4 Collings Road, St Peter Port, Guernsey
Jabez Sackett, married, 50, certificated schoolmaster (neither employed nor employer), b. Kent, England
Thomas Sackett, son, 18 [sic: 13], grocer's assistant, b. Yorkshire, England.
- 1901 Channel Islands census, digital image, Ancestry.com, 5322/113
Duveaux Lodge, St Sampson's, Guernsey
Jabez SACKETT, head, M, 60, clerk, worker, b. England
Sarah A SACKETT, wife, M, 58, b. England
Thomas E SACKETT, son, S, 23, vinery foreman, worker, b. England
William SACKETT, son, S, 21, agricultural labourer, worker, b. England
Laura SACKETT, dau, S, 18, b. England.
- 1911 Channel Islands census, digital image, Ancestry.com, 2 Plympton Place, Rohais Road, St Peter Port
Thomas E Sackett, head, 33, married, clerk (book-keeping), butchering (retail), resident, b. Walkington, Yorkshire, father b. Hythe, Kent
Florence E Sackett, wife, 34, m. 9y, 2 ch., both living, b. St Peter Port, father b. St Peter Port
Edgar Cyril Sackett, son, 8, b. St Peter Port, father b. Walkington, Yorks
Roland Burt Sackett, son, 4, b. St Peter Port, father b. Walkington, Yorks.
- "Britain, Campaign, Gallantry & Long Service Medals & Awards", database, Findmypast.
- "British Army Medal Index Cards, 1914-1920", digital image, The National Archives, "Sackett, Thomas E, Acting Unpaid Lance Corporal, Yorkshire Hussars, service no. 77078, enlisted 30 Jun 1918, discharged 18 Jan 1919, cause P392 xvia KR [surplus to military requirements (having suffered impairment since entry into the service)]. WO372/17."
- Website Kelly's Directory of Manchester, Salford and Suburbs (Ancestry.co.uk) (http://www.ancestry.co.uk), 1929, "Sackett Thos. Edwd. salesman, 75 Monton st. MS."
- "1939 Register", digital image, Findmypast, Sackett household, Cartref Melies?, St Asaph Road, St Asaph R D, Flintshire, Wales: Thomas E Sackett, b. 5 Oct 1877, married, cashier-clerk wholesale fruit; Florence E Sackett, b. 4 Feb 1877, married, household duties.
- Guernsey Evening Press, 19 Sep 1914, "Wesleyan Methodist Churches (French): St Martin's—6, Mr. T Sackett."
- Email from Ralph Sackett to Chris Sackett, August 2014.
- "England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills & Administrations), 1858–1995", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Sackett Florence Edith of 33 Westholme-road Withington Manchester (wife of Thomas Edward Sackett) died 22 September 1944 at Caerffynon Harlech Merionethshire Probate Manchester 11 December to the said Thomas Edward Sackett cashier. Effects £1519 13s. 2d."
- "England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills & Administrations), 1858–1995", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Sackett Thomas Edward of Miriant Mynytho near Pwllheli Carnarvonshire died 17 January 1960 Probate Bangor 17 March to Winifred Sackett widow. Effects £4620 13s. 4d."
|See also||Jabez Sackett gallery & descendant chart|
Guernsey newspaper abstracts.
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Sackett line||8th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
Descendants of Jabez Sackett
|Last Edited||29 Jun 2020|