Edward Newing Sackett
|Father||Jeremiah Sackett (1749/50-1838)|
|Mother||Hannah Newing (c 1761-1816)|
Edward Newing Sackett became a shipwright apprentice in 1795.7
Edward was named as a beneficiary in his father's will made in Northwood, St Lawrence in Thanet, KentG, on 12 March 1838.8 He was to inherit a house next to that of his brother Benjamin at Sackett's Hill, St Peter's, and a half-share with his brother Benjamin in a third adjoining house. Edward and his brother Benjamin were also left jointly two houses at Northwood, one of which was occupied by their father's brother Edward and their father's great-niece Ann Darby who was the housekeeper. Edward and his brother were to provide financially for their aged uncle and for Ann.
In 1841 Edward was living at George Row, St Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey, SurreyG, and was recorded in the census as Edward Sackett, a shipwright, aged 60 and born outside Surrey. The other members of his household were his wife Ann, aged 55 and described as Irish, and his son Edward, aged 20.9
Edward Sackett, then of Rotherhithe, London, was issued a merchant seaman's ticket on 21 August 1845. He worked at sea as a carpenter on voyages in 1845 and 1846. The detailed record reveals that he was literate, 5' 8" in height, had dark grey hair, a fair complexion, hazel eyes, and had "E.S." tattooed on his right arm. He had first gone to sea as a carpenter in 1833.10
In 1851 he was living at 9 James Place, BermondseyG, and was recorded as Edward Sackett, a shipwright, head of household, a lodger, aged 76 [actually 71] and born in Ramsgate.11
Child of Edward Newing Sackett and Ann ___
- Edward Jeremiah Sackett b. 20 Aug 1816, d. 1841
Notes & Citations
- Baptisms Register, St Lawrence in Thanet, Kent (Society of Genealogists), "12 March 1780 Edward Newing s. Jeremiah & Hannah Sackett, bn. 19 February."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Jun qtr 1853. Sackett, Edward Newing, 74. Bermondsey. 1d:70."
- Burials Register, St James' Church, Bermondsey, Surrey (Ancestry image), "18 Jun 1853 Edward Newing Sackett, of Salisbury Street, 74."
- Date of birth based on age at death.
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Mar qtr 1842. Sackett, Ann, 60. Bermondsey. 4:1."
- Burials Register, St James' Church, Bermondsey, Surrey (Ancestry image), "5 Jan 1842 Ann Sackett, George Row, 60."
- Marion Sackett, A Saga of Sacketts, saga 3.
- Will of Jeremiah Sackett of Northwood, St Lawrence, Kent, 12 March 1838, proved at Archdeaconry Court of Canterbury, 4 July 1838 (Kent Archives Office, KAO PRC 17-110-240).
- 1841 England census
George Row, St Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey, Surrey
Edward Sacket, 60, shipwright, b. not Surrey
Ann Sacket, 55, b. Ireland
Edward Sacket, 20, shipwright ap, b. Surrey
HO107; Piece 1048; Book: 4; Civil Parish: St Mary Magdalen Bermondsey; County: Surrey; Enumeration District: 10; Folio: 24; Page: 2; Line: 19; GSU roll: 474649. [Also researched at PRO by Marion Sackett].
- "Britain, Merchant Seamen, 1835-1857" (Findmypast image), "Edward Sackett, b. Ramsgate, Kent, 19 Feb 1780, age when ticketed 65, reported voyages 1845 & 1846, capacity carpenter, ht 5' 8", hair dk grey, complexion fair, eyes hazel, marks "E.S." on right arm, first went to sea as carpenter in 1833, can write, resides at Rotherhithe, ticket issued at London, 21 Aug 1845."
- 1851 England census
9 James Pl., Bermondsey, Surrey
Edward Sackett, head, lodger, 76, shipwright, b. Kent, Ramsgate
|Sackett line||5th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
|Last Edited||24 Oct 2022|