|Father||Reuben Sacket (1732-1803)|
|Mother||Mercy Finney (1729/30-1805)|
Violitty, listed as Voilet Beats, was named as a beneficiary in her mother's will made in Sharon, ConnecticutG, on 16 October 1804.
Violitty died shortly after the birth of her daughter Violitta (or, perhaps, also Violitty). John Bates, with a number of young children to care for, soon remarried. Violitty's brother Alexander, writing from Warren, Connecticut, in August 1814 to his brother Dr Samuel, in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, reported that Violitty's children were living with their father who, although "not a very healthy man is a man that is doing well and makes property" and that "his second wife does very well in the family."11
John died aged 46 in 1818. His will stated that he had nine children. After the "widow's third" left to his widow Margaret, he left the rest of his estate to his children, to be shared such that his sons each received double that of his daughters.12
Violitty Sackett, Warren, Connecticut, to brother Samuel, Fayette County, Pennsylvania, 27 Apr 1786
Violitty was aged 14
Also named brother Aaron
Kent April 27th 1786 Dear brother and sister it is with pleasure that I retire to write you to let you know that I am in health and my friends hoping these lines will find you injoying the same I wish to see you and converse with you but am denied the priviledg but I do hope if fortune will premit you will return again. I have no knews to write to you. give my warmest compliments to your family and to aron and an his wife. I will not continue lest I should tire your patience. So I must conclude by subscribin my self
your loving Sister
—Sackett Letters & other papers, Museum at Yuma Territorial Prison State Park; Giss Parkway & Prison Hill Road, Yuma, Arizona.
Children of Violitty Sackett and John Bates
- Betsey Bates b. 5 Mar 1795
- Bennett Bates b. c 1797, d. 26 Jun 1878
- Lucinda Bates b. c 1798, d. after 1839
- Leman Bates b. c 1799, d. 18 Nov 1799
- Reuben Bates b. c 1802
- Cynthia Bates b. 18 Sep 1804, d. 28 Aug 1847
- Violitta Bates b. c 1807, d. before 1839
Notes & Citations
- Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, "[Sackett], Violite, d. [Reuben & Marcy], b. July 18, 1771. Kent Vital Records, 1:8."
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "668. Violet Sacket, b. July 18, 1771."
- "Connecticut, Hale Cemetery Inscriptions and Newspaper Notices, 1629–1934", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Litchfield Weekly Monitor, 27 May 1807, "Bates, Mrs. Viallitty, Kent, died May 9, 1807, age 35."
- "Connecticut, Hale Cemetery Inscriptions and Newspaper Notices, 1629–1934", digital image, Ancestry.com, Inscription, Good Hill Cemetery, Kent, Litchfield County, "Bates, Violitty, wife of John, died May 9, 1807, age 36."
- "Connecticut Deaths and Burials Index, 1650–1934", database, Ancestry.com, "Bates, Violitty, d. Connecticut, 9 May 1807, age 36, bur. Kent, CT."
- Website Find A Grave.
- Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, "Sacket, Vestilly, Mrs., of Warren, m. John Bates, of Cornwall, Nov. 24, 1792, by Rev. Peter Starr. Cornwall Vital Records, 3:8."
- In a letter dated 5 Sep 1792 from Violitty's father Reuben to her brother Samuel, Reuben states that Violitty had married last November, i.e. Nov 1791. The original record of marriage, although dated 24 Nov 1792, was included in a list of marriages recorded by the Town Clerk on 1 May 1792, indicating that the marriage would have taken place in the preceding November.
- Date of birth based on age at death.
- "Connecticut, Hale Cemetery Inscriptions and Newspaper Notices, 1629–1934", digital image, Ancestry.com, Inscription, Good Hill Cemetery, Kent, Litchfield County, "Bates, John, died Jan 20, 1818, age 46."
- Sackett Letters & other papers, Museum at Yuma Territorial Prison State Park, Giss Parkway & Prison Hill Road, Yuma, Arizona.
- "Connecticut, Wills and Probate Records, 1609–1999", digital image, Ancestry.com.
|See also||Sackett letters, Yuma Territorial Prison Museum collection|
Thurmon King's Database, 4642
|Sackett line||5th great-granddaughter of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||24 Aug 2021|