Lieutenant James Sackett
|Father||Joseph Sackett (1724/25-)|
James served during the American Revolutionary War. After the War he was a Lieutenant in the 2nd Westchester County Regiment.3,4
James was taxed on a house and farm in Bedford, Westchester County, New York StateG, in the years 1799 to 1803.5 He was listed in the census in 1800 and 1810 as a householder there.6,7
374. Lieut. James Sackett, 1762–1__?, of Westchester County, N. Y., son of (120) Joseph and Hannah Budson Sackettt, served during the war of the Revolution and for fifteen years after the declaration of peace as a private soldier and a commissioned officer in 2d Westchester County Regiment. Throughout the greater part of his long term he served under his cousin, Richard Sackett, who during the war was the Captain of his Company, and after the war commanded the Regiment in which he for five years served as Adjutant.
Notes & Citations
- Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, "Sackett, James, [s. Joseph & Hannah], b. Jan. 14, 1762. Greenwich Vital Records, 1:119."
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "374. James Sackett, b. Jan. 14, 1762."
- "U.S., Compiled Revolutionary War Military Service Records, 1775-1783" (Ancestry transcript), "Sackett, James, military date 26 May [no year], military place New York, unit Thomas' Regiment, New York Militia, rank Private."; "Sackett, James, military date 31 May 1777, military place USA, unit Spencer's Regiment, Continental Troops, rank 1st Lieutenant."
- "New York Military in the Revolution" (Ancestry transcript), "Sackett, James, Dutchess, New York, Third Regiment, Enlisted Men."; "Sackett, James, Westchester, New York, Second Regiment, Enlisted Men."
- "New York, Tax Assessment Rolls, 1799–1804" (Ancestry image), Bedford, Westchester County, NY, 1799, "Sackett, James, house & farm & mill, real estate $4500, personal estate $180, tax $4.68."; 1800, "Sacket, James, house & farm, real estate $4500, personal estate $220, tax $5.58."; 1801, "Sackett, James, real estate $4500, tax $13.50."; 1802, "Sackett, James, real estate $4250, tax $5.14."; 1803, "Sacket, James, real estate $4500, tax $3.12."
- 1800 United States census, "James Sacket, Bedford, Westchester County, New York State, 1 male under 10, 1 male 26-44, 1 female 16-25, 1 female 26-44, 1 slave, total 5."
- 1810 United States census, "James Sackett, Bedford, Westchester County, New York State, 1 male 45 and over, 2 slaves, total 3."
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Sackett line||5th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||30 Nov 2023|