Joseph Sackett MD
|Father||Joseph Sackett (1706/7-after 1757)|
Joseph was named in the will, made on 2 August 1780 and proved in New York on 20 September 1784, of his unmarried aunt Johanna Clowes. He was identified as her nephew and his children, James, Peter, and Millicent, were to receive jointly one-seventh of the residue of her estate.4
Joseph was listed in the New York directory and register of 1796. He was a physician of 261 Water Street, New York CityG.5
Joseph's widow Hannah was listed in the New York almanack and register of 1807, living at 161 Greenwich Street, New York CityG.6
295. Joseph Sackett, M.D., 1733–1799, of Newtown, L.I., Paramus, N.J., and New York City, son of (85) Joseph and Millicent Clowes Sackett, was married, April 9, 1752, to Hannah Alsop, 1735–1817, daughter of Richard Alsop, 1695–1764, and his wife Elisabeth Crooke, 1703–1776. Dr. Sackett, previous to the Revolution, had an extensive practice on Long Island, but, in the words of Riker, "being a Whig he, during the war, lived at Paramus, N.J." Shortly after the declaration of peace he located in New York City. His residence there, as shown by the New York Directory for the year 1786, was at what was then No. 46 William Street.
762. Peter Sackett, b. Nov. 4, 1757; m. Esther Palmer.
763. Elisabeth Sackett, b. Jan. 16, 1772; m. Capt. Daniel Tingley.
764. Joseph Sackett, b. Aug. 6, 1774; m. Margaret ___.
His [Joseph Sackett's] son Joseph was b. Feb. 16, 1733, old style, became a physician and practiced in Newtown, for a considerable period, before the Revolution. During this war, being a whig, he lived at Peramus, N.J. He d. in New-York, July 27, 1799. His widow, Hannah, dau. of Richard Alsop, whom he m. Apr. 9, 1752, d. at the same place, May 31, 1817, in her 82d yr. Of twelve ch. most d. in infancy or early life, unm. James, b. Mar 20, 1755, a surgeon in the navy, d. single; Peter, b. Mar 4, 1757, went to England; Elizabeth-Crooke, b. Jan 16, 1772, m. Capt. Daniel Tingley, of N. York, and Joseph, b. Aug 6, 1774, has several daughters residing in the last named place.
Children of Joseph Sackett MD and Hannah Alsop
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "295. Joseph Sackett, b. Feb. 16, 1733, d. July 17, 1799; m. Hannah Alsop."
- James Riker, The Annals of Newtown, in Queens County, New-York: containing Its History from its first Settlement (New York: D Fanshaw, 1852), pp 344-348.
- Website Find a Grave.
- Thurmon King's database, citing Abstracts of Wills, Vol XIII, 1784-1786.
- John Low, "New-York directory, and register, 1796", digital image, American Ancestors, "Sackett, Joseph, physician, 261 Water st."
- "Longworth's American almanack, New-York register, and city directory", digital image, American Ancestors, 1807, "Sackett widow Hannah, 161 Greenwich."
|See also||Thurmon King's Database, 5870|
|Sackett line||5th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||30 Jun 2021|