|Father||Joseph Sacket (1690-1756)|
|Mother||Abigail Bigelow (1690-1776)|
Erastus was received into membership of the First Church of Christ, PittsfieldG, on 11 August 1764.12 He was listed as head of a family of eight in a Pittsfield town census of 16 November 1772.13
Erastus served in the American Revolutionary War in 1776 and 1777.14
Erastus was included in a 1786 census of Pittsfield householders; his son Erastus Jr was also listed.15
In 1790 Erastus was living in Pittsfield, Berkshire County, MassachusettsG. In his household were 2 men, 1 boy, and 4 females.16
Children of Erastus Sacket and Elisabeth Leonard
- Erastus Sacket Jr+ b. 29 Jul 1750, d. 28 Sep 1838
- Solomon Sacket b. 31 Jan 1751/52, d. 3 Jan 1760
- Hannah Sacket b. 10 Dec 1753, d. 3 Feb 1754
- Ozina Sacket b. 18 Jun 1759
- Penelope Sacket+ b. 17 Jan 1761, d. 1 Jun 1837
- Solomon Sacket b. 7 Aug 1762, d. 9 May 1814
- Joseph Sacket+ b. 3 Dec 1764, d. 17 Jan 1842
- Zelotes Sacket b. 17 Feb 1766, d. 22 Jul 1769
- Tirza Sacket b. 13 Mar 1774
198. Erastus Sacket, of Pittsfield, Mass., son of (44) Joseph and Abigail ___ Sacket, was married in May, 1747, to Elisabeth Leonard, 1730–__?, daughter of Abel Leonard and his wife Elisabeth, of Springfield, Mass. His name appears in the list of patriots who, in August, 1776, marched from Pittsfield to Ticonderoga under command of Sergeant Caleb Goodrich, and remained in the field three months and a day. He is also credited with marching from Pittsfield in the latter part of June, 1777, under command of Capt. John Strong, to Fort Ann, and remaining in the field for three weeks and three days.
630. Hannah Sacket, b. Dec. 10, 1753, d. Feb. 3, 1754.
631. Ozina Sacket, b. Jan 18, 1759.
632. Penelope Sacket, b. Jan. 17, 1761, d. June 1, 1837; m. Asaph Dewey.
633. Solomon Sacket, b. Aug. 7, 1762.
634. Joseph Sacket, b. Dec. 3, 1764.
635. Zelotes Sacket, b. Feb. 17, 1766, d. July 3, 1769.
|Sackett line||4th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder|
|See also||Thurmon King's Database, 2602|
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "198. Erastus Sacket, m. Elizabeth Leonard."
- Vital Records (LDS), Westfield, Massachusetts, A:130.
- Birth & Death Records (NEHGS), Westfield, Massachusetts, "Sacket, Erastus, s. Joseph & Abigail, b. June 7, 1721."
- Vital Records (LDS), Westfield, Massachusetts, A:30 "Marriage intentions filed: Erastus Sacket & Elizabeth Leonard, May 2, 1747."
- Marriage Records (NEHGS), Westfield, Massachusetts, "Erastas Sacket of W. and Elizabeth Leonard of Springfield; m. June 11, 1747."
- Vital Records, Springfield, Massachusetts, to 1850, Book 2, Marriages, 1728–1807, "Erastus Sackett of Westfield Enters his Intention of Marriage with Elizabeth Leonard of Springfield May 2d 1747, & Published the Same Day according to Law."
- Vital Records, Springfield, Massachusetts, to 1850, Book 4, Marriages & Intentions, 1842–1849, record of ancient Marriages prior to the year 1800, "Erastus Sackett of Westfield and Elisabeth Leonard of Springfield, were married, June 11th 1747 by Samuel Hopkins at Westfield."
- Vital Records, Springfield, Massachusetts, to 1850, Book 2, Marriages, 1728–1807, Marriage Notification, "To Mr Edward Pynchon Clerk of Springfield. Sr June 11: 1747. Erastus Sackett of Westfield and Elizabeth Leonard of Springfield were Married by me Samll Hopkins."
"Recd & Entd September 16th 1747 Pr Edward Pynchon Cler[k] of Springfd."
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America.
- Cooke Collection of Massachusetts Genealogical Records, 1:80, Pittsfield Sun, 21 March 1816, "Died. This town, a few days since, Mrs. Sacket, relict of late Mr. Erastus Sacket, ae 88."
- Cooke Collection of Massachusetts Genealogical Records, 26:338, records of First Church of Christ, Pittsfield, deaths, "1816 Mar 8, Mrs. Sackett, aged 88 yrs."
- Cooke Collection of Massachusetts Genealogical Records, 26:284, records of First Church of Christ, Pittsfield, "List of persons belonging to the church in Pittsfield and date received, 1764 Aug 11, Erastus Sackett."
- Cooke Collection of Massachusetts Genealogical Records, 26:278, records of First Church of Christ, Pittsfield, the Number of Families & Persons in the Town, Nov. 16, 1772. "22 Arestas Sackett 8" [family #22, 8 persons]."
- Website National Society Daughters of the American Revolution (http://dar.org/), "Sackett, Erastus
Birth: (Circa) 1728, Pittsfield, Massachusetts
Death: (Post) 1810, Pittsfield, Massachusetts
Service Description: Capt John Strong, Col John Brown
Residence: Pittsfield, Massachusetts
Spouse: Elizabeth Leonard."
- Cooke Collection of Massachusetts Genealogical Records, 26:375, records of First Church of Christ, Pittsfield, [1786 census] Ares. Sackett [next line] Ar. Sackett Junr."
- 1790 US census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, Erastus Sacket. Pittsfield, Berkshire, MA. 2 white males (16+), 1 white male under 16, and 4 white females.
|Last Edited||15 June 2019|