|Father||Joseph Sacket (1690-1756)|
|Mother||Abigail Bigelow (1690-1776)|
Erastus was received into membership of the First Church of Christ, PittsfieldG, on 11 August 1764.13
In 1768 Erastus is recorded as having "confessed unchristian fighting &c"; the "&c" is not elucidated, nor the nature of the fighting rendering it unchristian.14
He was listed as head of a family of eight in a Pittsfield town census of 16 November 1772.15
Erastus served in the American Revolutionary War in 1776 and 1777.16
He was included in a 1786 census of Pittsfield householders; his son Erastus Jr was also listed.17
In 1790 Erastus was living in Pittsfield, Berkshire County, MassachusettsG. In his household were 2 men, 1 boy, and 4 females.18
Children of Erastus Sacket and Elizabeth Leonard
- Erastus Sacket Jr+ b. 29 Jul 1750, d. 28 Sep 1838
- Solomon Sacket b. 31 Jan 1751/52, d. 3 Jan 1760
- Hannah Sacket b. 10 Dec 1753, d. 3 Feb 1754
- Ozina Sacket b. 18 Jun 1759
- Penelope Sacket+ b. 17 Jan 1761, d. 1 Jun 1837
- Solomon Sacket b. 7 Aug 1762, d. 9 May 1814
- Joseph Sacket+ b. 3 Dec 1764, d. 17 Jan 1842
- Zelotes Sacket b. 17 Feb 1766, d. 22 Jul 1769
- Tirza Sacket b. 13 Mar 1774
- Candace Sacket b. 5 Aug 1774
198. Erastus Sacket, of Pittsfield, Mass., son of (44) Joseph and Abigail ___ Sacket, was married in May, 1747, to Elisabeth Leonard, 1730–__?, daughter of Abel Leonard and his wife Elisabeth, of Springfield, Mass. His name appears in the list of patriots who, in August, 1776, marched from Pittsfield to Ticonderoga under command of Sergeant Caleb Goodrich, and remained in the field three months and a day. He is also credited with marching from Pittsfield in the latter part of June, 1777, under command of Capt. John Strong, to Fort Ann, and remaining in the field for three weeks and three days.
630. Hannah Sacket, b. Dec. 10, 1753, d. Feb. 3, 1754.
631. Ozina Sacket, b. Jan 18, 1759.
632. Penelope Sacket, b. Jan. 17, 1761, d. June 1, 1837; m. Asaph Dewey.
633. Solomon Sacket, b. Aug. 7, 1762.
634. Joseph Sacket, b. Dec. 3, 1764.
635. Zelotes Sacket, b. Feb. 17, 1766, d. July 3, 1769.
d. before 1797
m. to Elizabeth Chaffee
She b. 1728, d. Mar 8 1816 ae 88 (TR & Sun)
Dewey Genealogy p. 745 calls her Elizabeth Leonard
He was adm chh 1764, and was on town list Nov 16 1772 as Arestas Sackett, with a family of 8 persons.
Probate records of May 2 1797, an agreement was signed by the children named below, Ozina being then unm.
Solomon Sackett, in his Will 1814, provides for his mother Elizabeth.
In 1768 Aretus Sackett confesses unchristian fighting &c.
Ares Sackett on census of 1786.
1. Erastus, b. 1750, m. Sarah.
2. Ozina, b. 1760, m. Gideon Gunn.
3. Penelope, b. Jan 17 1761, Westfield, m. Asaph Dewey; res. Richmond 1797.
4. Solomon, b. 1762, m. Betsey Kellogg.
6. Zolotas, bpt. Mar 4 1766 (chh rec), d. May 1769 (TR & chh rec).
5. Joseph, bpt. Feb 17 1765 (chh rec), m. Lucy Goff.
7. Tirza, bpt. Mar 13 1774 (chh rec), m. Elijah Hill.
[not numbered]. Candace, b. Aug 5 1774 (TR), bpt. Oct 1774, m. Amos Abbott; res. Hadley in 1797.
Erastus Sackett lived at East Part, Pittsfield, on the John Clark farm, or Weller farm.
m. to Erastus Sackett
Perhaps she was dau. of John Chaffee of Adams who d. 1781 or 2, for Erastus Sackett Jr of Pittsfield was admr on his estate Feb 5 1782.
|Sackett line||4th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|See also||Thurmon King's Database, 2602|
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "198. Erastus Sacket, m. Elizabeth Leonard."
- Vital Records (LDS), Westfield, Massachusetts, A:130.
- Birth & Death Records (NEHGS), Westfield, Massachusetts, "Sacket, Erastus, s. Joseph & Abigail, b. June 7, 1721."
- Rollin H Cooke, Pittsfield Families, 9:6–7, p. 115, "Sackett, Erastus, d. before 1797.", citing probate 2 May 1797.
- Vital Records (LDS), Westfield, Massachusetts, A:30 "Marriage intentions filed: Erastus Sacket & Elizabeth Leonard, May 2, 1747."
- Marriage Records (NEHGS), Westfield, Massachusetts, "Erastas Sacket of W. and Elizabeth Leonard of Springfield; m. June 11, 1747."
- Vital Records, Springfield, Massachusetts, to 1850, Book 2, Marriages, 1728–1807, "Erastus Sackett of Westfield Enters his Intention of Marriage with Elizabeth Leonard of Springfield May 2d 1747, & Published the Same Day according to Law."
- Vital Records, Springfield, Massachusetts, to 1850, Book 4, Marriages & Intentions, 1842–1849, record of ancient Marriages prior to the year 1800, "Erastus Sackett of Westfield and Elisabeth Leonard of Springfield, were married, June 11th 1747 by Samuel Hopkins at Westfield."
- Vital Records, Springfield, Massachusetts, to 1850, Book 2, Marriages, 1728–1807, Marriage Notification, "To Mr Edward Pynchon Clerk of Springfield. Sr June 11: 1747. Erastus Sackett of Westfield and Elizabeth Leonard of Springfield were Married by me Samll Hopkins."
"Recd & Entd September 16th 1747 Pr Edward Pynchon Cler[k] of Springfd."
- "Massachusetts, Town and Vital records, 1620–1988", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Elizabeth Leonard, daughter of Abel Leonard Jun & Elizabeth Leonard, born 15 Jan 1729/30."
- Cooke Collection of Massachusetts genealogical records, Berkshire Athenaeum, Pittsfield, Massachusetts, 1:80, Pittsfield Sun, 21 March 1816, "Died. This town, a few days since, Mrs. Sacket, relict of late Mr. Erastus Sacket, ae 88."
- Cooke Collection of Massachusetts genealogical records, Berkshire Athenaeum, Pittsfield, Massachusetts, 26:338, records of First Church of Christ, Pittsfield, deaths, "1816 Mar 8, Mrs. Sackett, aged 88 yrs."
- Cooke Collection of Massachusetts genealogical records, Berkshire Athenaeum, Pittsfield, Massachusetts, 26:284, records of First Church of Christ, Pittsfield, "List of persons belonging to the church in Pittsfield and date received, 1764 Aug 11, Erastus Sackett."
- Rollin H Cooke, Pittsfield Families, 9:6–7, p. 115.
- Cooke Collection of Massachusetts genealogical records, Berkshire Athenaeum, Pittsfield, Massachusetts, 26:278, records of First Church of Christ, Pittsfield, the Number of Families & Persons in the Town, Nov. 16, 1772. "22 Arestas Sackett 8" [family #22, 8 persons]."
- Website National Society Daughters of the American Revolution (http://dar.org/), "Sackett, Erastus
Birth: (Circa) 1728, Pittsfield, Massachusetts
Death: (Post) 1810, Pittsfield, Massachusetts
Service Description: Capt John Strong, Col John Brown
Residence: Pittsfield, Massachusetts
Spouse: Elizabeth Leonard."
- Cooke Collection of Massachusetts genealogical records, Berkshire Athenaeum, Pittsfield, Massachusetts, 26:375, records of First Church of Christ, Pittsfield, [1786 census] Ares. Sackett [next line] Ar. Sackett Junr."
- 1790 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Erastus Sacket. Pittsfield, Berkshire, MA. 2 white males (16+), 1 white male under 16, and 4 white females.
|Last Edited||27 Jul 2020|