Thomas Sackett MD
|Father||Judge Joseph Sackett (1680-1755)|
|Mother||Hannah Alsop (1690-1773)|
Thomas was named as a beneficiary in his father's will made on 31 March 1755.
Children of Thomas Sackett MD and Phebe Albertus
- Hannah Sackett+ b. c 1763, d. 1839
- Unnamed son Sackett b. 1769, d. 19 Oct 1769
95. Thomas Sackett, M. D., 1726–1769, of Newtown, L. I., graduate of Kings (now Columbia) College, New York, son of (23) Judge Joseph and Hannah Alsop Sackett, was married, Sept. 21, 1762, to Phebe Albertus, daughter of Samuel Albertus and his wife Elisabeth Vandervoort. Dr. Sackett was born and practiced his profession with success for seventeen years at Newtown, L. I., when he removed to and became a resident of Quebec, Canada. On July 24, 1769, letters of administration were granted to his wife, Phebe Sackett.
Peter Caesar Albertus, a native of Venice, in Italy, came to New Amsterdam with the early settlers and married there, in 1642, Judith Jans Meynie, from Amsterdam in Holland. They lived for many years on the Heeren Gracht, now Broad Street. Mr Albertus also owned a tobacco plantation at the Wallabout, for which he received a patent June 17, 1743.
John Albertus, oldest son of above, married Elisabeth Scudder, daughter of John Scudder, who was born in England in 1619, came to New England in 1635, and settled at Mespot Kills prior to 1660. He accumulated a large estate and died at English Kills in April, 1691.
Samuel Albertus, son of John and Elisabeth Scudder Albertus, inherited a large share of his father's estate and died Oct. 14, 1752, at an advanced age.
Samuel Albertus, son of Samuel, the grandson of John, was married, June 1, 1724, to Elisabeth Vandervoort, daughter of Paul Vandervoort. Their daughter Phebe, as stated above, was married to Thomas Sackett.
|Sackett line||4th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder|
|See also||Thurmon King's Database, 6306|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "95. Thomas Sackett, b. Dec. 27, 1726, d. June 27, 1769; m. Phebe Alburtis."
- Website New York Genealogical and Biographical Record, Register Book for Parish of Jamaica kept by the Rev. Thomas Poyer (New England Historic Genealogical Society), "Thos ye Son of Jos: & Hannah Sackett [bp.] May 11, 1729 at Newtown."
- Register of Deaths, Presbyterian Church, Newtown (now Elmhurst), Queens County, Long Island, N.Y., "1769, June 27. Dr. Thomas Sacket."
- Website Brooklyn Genealogy, Marriage Index New York 1600s–1900. (Steve Morse), "1762, Newtown (Elmhurst), Queens County, Sacket, Thomas & Alburtus, Phebe."
- Register of Marriages, Presbyterian Church, Newtown (now Elmhurst), Queens County, Long Island, N.Y., "1762, Sept. 21. Thomas Sacket & Phebe Alburtus."
- New York State, Names of persons for whom marriage licenses were issued by the secretary of the province of New York, previous to 1784., Albany, Weed, Parsons & Co (1860), digital image, (https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/009586797), "1762, Sept. 21. Sackett, Thomas, and Phebe Albertus, VI, 234."
|Last Edited||12 May 2020|