Wilford Edward Sackitt
|Father||Benjamin Franklin Sackitt (1888-1962)|
|Mother||Bessie E Smith (1892-1964)|
In 1930 Wilford was living in Emmett, Calhoun County, MichiganG, in the household of his parents Benjamin and Bessie, and was recorded in the census as Wilfred Sackitt, aged eight.8
Wilford completed a World War II draft registration card on 16 February 1942. He was aged 20 and was living at 171 Cherry Street, Battle CreekG. Next of kin was his mother, of the same address.9
Wilford served in the US Army from enlistment in KalamazooG on 17 July 1942 to release on 25 November 1945.5,10
Wilford was listed in the 1956 Battle Creek City Directory. He was a turbine operator at Consumers Power and was living with his wife Betty at 153 Rook Avenue, Battle CreekG.11
Have Church Wedding
Miss Betty Mae Kaan, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Anthony J. Kaan of 371 Eel, became the bride of Corp. Wilford Sackitt, son of Mr. and Mrs. B. S. Sackitt, 171 Cherry, on Wednesday evening in the Central Christian church. The Rev. I. T. Rogers read the service, which was witnessed by both families. A reception followed at the Kaan home. Corporal Sackitt has returned to Camp Hulen, Tex., where he is in a field artillery unit. Mrs. Sackitt will remain here with her family.
—Battle Creek Enquirer, Battle Creek, Michigan, 31 Jan 1943, p 13.
Children of Wilford Edward Sackitt
Notes & Citations
- Death record.
- Marriage record.
- "U.S. Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936–2007" (Ancestry transcript), "Sackitt, Wilford Edward, b. Battle Creek, Michigan, 7 May 1921, d. 20 Sep 2002, father Benjamin F Sackitt, mother Bessie E Smith. Apr 1940 listed as Wilford Edward Sackitt; 26 Sep 2002 listed as Wilford E Sackitt."
- "Social Security Death Index" (Ancestry transcript), "Wilford E. Sackitt, b. 7 May 1921, d. 20 Sep 2002, SSN 381-18-7456 issued MI, residence 49456, Spring Lake, Ottawa, Michigan."
- "US Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File" (Ancestry transcript), "Sackitt, Wilford, b. 7 May 1921, d. 20 Sep 2002, branch Army, enlisted 30 Jul 1942, released 25 Nov 1945."
- "Michigan, Marriage Records, 1867–1952" (Ancestry image), "27 Jan 1943, Battle Creek, Calhoun, Michigan, Mr Wilford E Sackitt, 21, of 171 Cherry St, Battle Creek, Michigan, b. Battle Creek, Michigan, occ US Army, father Frank Sackitt, mother Bessie Smith; to Betty Mae Kaan, 17, of 371 Eel St, Battle Creek, b. Kent Cty, Michigan, waitress, father Anthony Kaan, mother Lydia Kramer. Witnesses: Mrs Martha Wells, of Detroit, Mrs Lydia M Kaan, of Battle Creek. By Rev I T Rogers, Minister, Central Christian Church."
- "Social Security Death Index" (Ancestry transcript), "Betty M. Sackitt, b. 22 Sep 1925, d. 29 Feb 2008, SSN 365-20-2311 issued MI, residence 49456, Spring Lake, Ottawa, Michigan."
- 1930 United States census
Page 8B, Enumeration District 0045, FHL microfilm 2340714
Emmett, Calhoun, Michigan, 9 Apr 1930
Sackitt, Benjamin F, head, 41, m. at 27, pipe fitter, factory, b. MI, father b. MI, mother b. MI, home owned, $3000
Sackitt, Bessie, wife, 37, m. at 23, b. MI, father b. MI, mother b. MI
Sackitt, Everett, son, 13, b. MI, father b. MI, mother b. MI
Sackitt, Wilfred, son, 8, b. MI, father b. MI, mother b. MI
Sackitt, Elizabeth, daughter, 7, b. MI, father b. MI, mother b. MI
Sackitt, Clifford, son, 2 5/12, b. MI, father b. MI, mother b. MI.
- "U.S. WWII Draft Cards Young Men, 1940–1947" (Ancestry image), "Wilford Edward Sackitt, 171 Cherry St, Battle Creek, Calhoun, Michigan, age 20, b. Battle Creek, Michigan, 7 May 1921, nok Mrs Frank Sackitt, 171 Cherry, emp Gordon Clark, 178 E Van Buren, Battle Creek, race white, ht 6 ft, eyes gray, wt 155, hair brown, complexion light. Reg Battle Creek, Calhoun, Michigan, 16 Feb 1942."
- "US World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938–1946" (Ancestry transcript), "Sackitt, Wilford E, b. Michigan, 1921, res. Calhoun, Michigan, educ. 1 yr college, motor vehicle mechanic, enlisted Kalamazoo, Michigan, 17 Jul 1942, ht 70, wt 145."
- "US City Directories, 1822-1995" (Ancestry image), Battle Creek City Directory, 1956, "Sackitt Wilford E (Betty M) turbine opr Consumers Power h153 Rook av."
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Sackett line||6th great-grandson of John Sackett of New Haven|
|Charts||Line 4 (American)|
|Last Edited||29 Mar 2021|