Julia Catherine Cook Sackett
|Mother||Mary Catherine Sackett (1825-)|
In 1851 Julia was living with her mother Mary in the Hamlet of Northwood, St Peter's, Thanet, KentG, in the household of her grandparents Vincent and Mary Sackett, and was recorded in the census as Julia Sackett, a scholar, aged five and born in St Peter's.11
In 1861 she was living at Northwood, St Lawrence in Thanet, KentG, in the household of her stepfather George Taylor and mother Mary, and was recorded as Julia C Sackett, aged 15, and born in St Peter's.12
In 1901 she was living at 43/45 Homedale Road, Bromley, KentG, and was recorded as Julia Catherine Giles, a beer and wine housekeeper (off licence), an employer, head of household, a widow, aged 54 and born in Ramsgate. Living with her were her son Vincent, 19, and daughter Amy, 17, who were both working in the beer-house.13
In 1911 she was living at 243 Hollydale Road, Peckham, LondonG, and was recorded as Julia Catherine Sackett, head of household, aged 65 and born in Northwood, Thanet, Kent. Living with her was her unmarried daughter Amy Giles, 27.14
In 1921 she was living at 3 Gloster Road, New Malden, SurreyG, and was recorded as Julia Catherine Sackett, a widow, head of household, aged 75. Her unmarried daughter Amy Giles, 38, was living with her.15
Julia left a will which was proved on 2 February 1924 by her daughter Amy. Her estate was valued at £325.16
Children of Julia Catherine Cook Sackett and Charles Giles
Notes & Citations
- General Register Office, Online Index to Births, "Sep qtr 1845. Sackett, Julia Catherine Cock. Thanet. 5:478."
- Copy birth certificate of Julia Catherine Cook Sackett, born 1 September 1845, registered in the Registration District of Thanet, "Ramsgate, Isle of Thanet, Kent, 1 September 1845, Northwood, St Peter's, Julia Catherine Cook, father Edward Cook, farmer, mother Mary Catherine Sackett."
- Baptisms Register, St Peter the Apostle, Thanet, Kent, "12 October 1844 Julia Catherine Cook d. Mary Catherine Sackett, Northwood, spinster." [Birth date was 1 September 1845; date of baptism would have been 12 October 1845, not 1844]
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Mar qtr 1924. Sackett, Julia C, 78. Kingston."
- Probate record.
- General Register Office, Online Index to Marriages, "Mar qtr 1866. Sackett, Julia K C. Thanet. 2a:99."
- Copy marriage certificate of Julia Catherine Cook Sackett and Charles Giles, married 29 March 1866 in the Registration District of Thanet, "Ebenezer Chapel, Ramsgate, Kent, 29 March 1866, Julia Catherine Cook Sackett, d. Edward Sackett [sic], chair dresser, deceased, & Charles Giles, stone mason, s. Daniel Giles, farmer. Witnesses: B Sackett, Sarah Walker Sackett."
- Emails from Jake Braden to Chris Sackett, March 2006.
- General Register Office, Online Index to Marriages, "Sep qtr 1902. Sackett, John Jeremiah W. Bromley. 2a:1038."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Marriages, "Sep qtr 1902. Giles, Julia Catherine. Bromley. 2a:1038."
- 1851 England census
Hamlet of Northwood, St. Peters, Kent
Vincent A. Sackett, head , married, 57, farmer, 15 acres, b. Kent, St. Peters
Mary Sackett, wife, 59, b. Kent, Stourmouth
Mary Sackett, dau, unmarried, 23, farmer's dau., b. Kent, St. Peters
Vincent Sackett, son, 13, scholar, farmer's son, b. Kent, St. Peters
Barzillai Sackett, son, 6, scholar, farmer's son, b. Kent, St. Peters
Julia Sackett, g-dau, 5, scholar, farmer's g-dau, b. Kent, St. Peters
Elizabeth Cox, niece, [marital status blank], 30, domestic, b. Kent, Canterbury
HO107; Piece: 1630; Folio: 56; Page: 11; GSU roll: 193531.
- 1861 England census
Northwood, St Lawrence, Kent
George Taylor, head, married, 38, market gardener, b. St Lawrence, Kent
Mary C Taylor, wife, 35, b. St Peter's
Julia C Sackett, dau-in-law, 15, assistant, b. St Peter's
Mary J M Taylor, dau, 1, b. St Peter's
Infant not registered, son, 3 days, b. St Lawrence.
- 1901 England census
RG13, piece 684, folio 44, p. 1
43/45 Homedale Road, Bromley, Kent
Julia Catherine Giles, head, widow, 54, beer & wine housekeeper, off licence, employer, b. Kent, Ramsgate
Vincent Sackett Giles, son, single, 19, assistant, beer house, worker, b. Kent, Bromley
Amy May G Giles, dau, 17, assistant, beer house, worker, b. Kent, Bromley.
- 1911 England census
243 Hollydale Rd, Peckham, London SE
Julia Catherine Sackett, head, 65, married, m. 8½y, no ch, b. Northwood, Thanet, Kent
Amy May Gertrude Giles, dau, 27, single, cashier, drapery, b. Bromley, Kent.
- 1921 England census
3 Gloster Road, New Malden, Surrey
Julia Catherine Sackett, head, 75y 9m, widowed, b. Northwood, St Peter nr Ramsgate, home duties
Amy May Gertrude Giles, daughter, 38y 1m, single, b. Bromley, Kent, home duties, while unemployed, last employed as drapers assistant, Messrs J W Goldsmith, High St, Tunbridge Wells.
- "England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills & Administrations), 1858–1995" (Ancestry image), "Sackett Julia Catherine Cook of 3 Gloucester-road New Malden Surrey widow died 9 January 1924 Probate London 2 February to Amy May Gertrude Giles spinster. Effects £325."
|Sackett line||7th great-granddaughter of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
John Jeremiah W Sackett & Julia Catherine Cook Sackett relationship chart
|Last Edited||5 Nov 2022|