Stephen John Sackett1
|Father||Thomas Sackett (1807-)|
|Mother||Harriet Langridge (c 1807-)|
Stephen emigrated to America, establishing himself in New York with his wife Eliza sometime before 1863 when their first child, Phoebe, was born. A record of their voyage has not been found.
Eliza was English and it would seem probable that she and Stephen were married in England. A possible marriage record is that of a Stephen Sackett in Stoke upon Trent, Staffordshire, England, in the June quarter 1863. Index entries on the same page as Stephen's include two marriages with brides' names of Anne Filing and Elizabeth Myat. It is possible that the latter was Stephen's wife Eliza. It is also noted that the manuscript index includes two entries, one as Sackett and one as Sockett. It is not safe therefore to conclude that this was Stephen Sackett's marriage record. There is no other evidence to suggest that Stephen, who was born in Thanet, was ever in Stoke upon Trent.5
In 1841 Stephen was living at Hereson, St Lawrence in Thanet, KentG, in the household of his parents Thomas and Harriet, and was recorded in the census as Stephen Sackett, aged one and born in Kent.6
In 1851 he was living at Hereson, St Lawrence in ThanetG, and was recorded as Stephen J Sackett, a scholar, aged 11, born at St. Lawrence, Kent, son of Thomas Sackett.7
In 1880 he was living in Glenville, Westchester County, New York StateG, and was recorded as Stephen S Sackett, a granite & marble dealer, head of household, married, aged 41 and born in England. Living with him were his wife Eliza, aged 45 and also born in England, and their children, Phorbett [sic: Phoebe], 17, Josephine, 13, and Stephen T, 8, all born in New York.4
Stephen, his wife, and their son Stephen made a return visit to England in 1882, arriving back in New York on the Helvetia on 12 September 1882.8,9
Children of Stephen John Sackett and Eliza ___
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, not recorded.
- GRO Indexes to Births, 1837 to date, "Dec qtr 1839. Sackett, Stephen John. Mother: Langridge. Thanet. 5:431."
- Thurmon King's database, citing Genie Parker Ryan.
- 1880 US census, database, LDS, FamilySearch, FHL 1254945, NA T9-0945/303D(2)
Glenville, Westchester, New York
Stephen S. Sackett, head, married, 41, b. England, granite & marble dealer, father b. England, mother b. England
Eliza Sackett, wife, 45, b. England, keeping house, father b. England, mother b. England
Phorbett Sackett, dau, single, 17, b. NY, clerk in factory & millinary estab.father b. England, mother b. England
Josephine Sackett, dau, 13, b. NY, at school, father b. England, mother b. England
Stephen T. Sackett, son, 8, b. NY, at school, father b. England, mother b. England.
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Jun qtr 1863. Sackett, Stephen. Stoke T. [Stoke upon Trent, Staffordshire]. 6b:213." [Also indexed as Sockett, Stephen.] [Wife (from FreeBMD) = Anne Filing or Elizabeth Myat].
- 1841 England census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Hereson, St Lawrence, Kent
Thomas Sackett, 30, mason, b. Kent
Harriett Sackett, 30, b. Kent
Stephen Sackett, 1, b. Kent
George Sackett, 15, mason ap., b. Kent
HO107; Piece 467; Book: 16; Civil Parish: St Lawrence; County: Kent; Enumeration District: 18; Folio: 34; Page: 36; Line: 17; GSU roll: 306862.
- 1851 Census for England & Wales, Hereson, St.Lawrence, Kent
Thomas Sackett, head, married, 43, stone mason, b. Kent, St. Lawrence
Harriet Sackett, wife, 44, b. Kent, St. Lawrence
Stephen J. Sackett, son, 11, scholar, b. Kent, St. Lawrence
Walter T. Sackett, son, 6, scholar, b. Kent, St. Lawrence
- Website CastleGarden.org: America's First Immigration Center (http://www.castlegarden.org), entries for Mr S J Sackett, gentleman, 43; Mrs Sackett, lady, 47; and Master S P Sackett, child, youngster, 10; arrived 12 September 1882 on the Helvetia.
- "New York Passenger Lists 1851–1891", database, Ancestry.com, entry for Mr S I Sackett, 43; Mrs Sackett, 47; & Master L P Sackett, 10; arrived 12 September 1882 from Liverpool, England, via Queenstown [Ireland] on the Helvetia.
|Sackett line||7th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
|Last Edited||26 Nov 2016|