Edward Thomas Sackett
|Father||Richard Sackett (c 1834-1907)|
|Mother||Ann Elizabeth Reed (c 1836-1912)|
In 1891 Edward was living at 113 Major Road, Stratford, MiddlesexG, in the household of his parents Richard and Ann, and was recorded in the census as Edward Sackett, a scholar, aged nine, and born in Hackney Wick.7
In 1911 he was living at 36 Pond Road, West Ham, EssexG, in the household of his sister Matilda, and was recorded as Edward Sackett, a labourer, single, aged 29.8
Ernest joined the National Union of Railwaymen at Stratford, EssexG, on 3 July 1914. He worked as a labourer on the Great Eastern Railway.9
Edward served in the British Army during the First World War in the Royal Field Artillery. He was awarded the Victory Medal and the British Medal in recognition of active service overseas, and the 1914 Star. He was a Shoeing Smith and later a Sergeant. He was granted a Silver War Badge, to be worn with civilian clothes to indicate that he had been honourably discharged due to wounds or sickness.10,11
At the outbreak of the Second World War in September 1939, Edward's widow Rosina was living at 142 Corporation Street, West Ham, EssexG, with their daughter Rosina.12
Children of Edward Thomas Sackett and Rosina Edith Draper
Notes & Citations
- GRO Indexes to Births, 1837 to date, "Jun qtr 1882. Sackett, Edward Thomas. Mother: Read. Hackney. 1b:592."
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Jun qtr 1936. Sackett, Edward T, 53. Romford."
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Jun qtr 1912. Sackett, Edward T (spouse: Draper). W Ham. 4a:551."
"Jun qtr 1912. Draper, Rosina E (spouse: Sackett). W. Ham. 4a:551."
- GRO Indexes to Births, 1837 to date, "Jun qtr 1888. Draper, Rosina Edith. Mother: Gooch. Islington. 1b:287."
- 1939 Register.
- "England & Wales deaths 1837–2006", database, Findmypast, "Mar qtr 1979. Sackett, Rosina Edith, b. 24 Mar 1888. Wandsworth. 15:1430."
- 1891 Census for England & Wales, RG12/1315/f74v
113 Major Rd, Stratford, Essex
Richard Sackett, head, married, 55, general labourer (employed), b. Canterbury
Ann Sackett, wife, 54, b. Stratford
Henry Sackett, son, unm, 18, carman (employed), b. Stratford
Emily Sackett, dau, 14, b. Stratford
Edward Sackett, son, 9, scholar, b. Hackney Wick
Joseph Corderey, lodger, married, 21, railway fireman (employed), b. East Ham, Essex
Mary Corderey, wife, 22, b. Stratford.
- 1911 England census, digital image, Ancestry.com, RG14, Piece 9424, Schedule 49
36 Pond Road, West Ham, Essex
Matilda Luxton, head, 40, m. 18y, 9 ch, 7 living, house duties, b. West Ham
Frederick Richard Luxton, son, 17, labourer, leather cloth -?-, b. West Ham
Matilda Susan Luxton, dau, 15, skin comber, leather dressers, b. West Ham
Albert Edward Luxton, son, 13, b. West Ham
John Richard Luxton, son, 12, b. West Ham
Edward Luxton, son, 8, b. West Ham
Lillian Luxton, dau, 6, b. West Ham
Annie Luxton, dau, 7 months, b. West Ham
Mrs Sackett, mother, 76, widow, b. West Ham
Henry Sackett, brother, 38, single, labourer, b. West Ham
John Sackett, brother, 36, single, labourer, b. West Ham
Edward Sackett, brother, 29, single, labourer, b. West Ham.
- "Britain, Trade Union membership registers", digital image, Findmypast, "Sackett, E T, admitted National Union of Railwaymen, Stratford 2 branch, 3 Jul 1914, age 32, labourer, railway GE."
- "Britain, Campaign, Gallantry & Long Service Medals & Awards", database, Findmypast.
- "British Army Medal Index Cards, 1914-1920", digital image, The National Archives, "Sackett, Edward Thomas, Shoeing Smith, later Sergeant, Royal Field Artillery, service no. 14357, Victory Medal, British Medal, 1914 Star, Silver War Badge, discharged 8 Nov 1918. WO372/17."
- "1939 Register", UK, digital image, Findmypast, Sackett household, 142 Corporation Street, West Ham, Essex: RG101/1031F/009/32, Rosina M Sackett (later Harris), b. 19 Oct 1914, single, printing machine operator cigarette manufacture; Rosina E Sackett, b. 24 Mar 1888, widowed, unpaid domestic duties.
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Sackett line||8th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
|Last Edited||29 Jun 2020|