Dorothy Grace Sackett
|Father||Frank Sackett (1848-1897)|
|Mother||Clara Jane L Griffiths (1864-1940)|
In 1891 Dorothy was living at Rydalmount, Grove Hill Road, Woodford, EssexG, and was recorded in the census as Dorothy G Sackett, aged two and born in Woodford, the daughter of Frank Sackett.6
In 1901 she was living at the Royal Masonic Institute for Girls, Clapham Junction, LondonG, and was recorded as Dorothy Sackett, a pupil, aged 12, and born in Woodford.7
Dorothy travelled to Spain in 1919 (possibly visiting Gibraltar), returning from Lisbon to Plymouth as a first-class passenger on the Demerara on 3 November 1919. She was listed as a secretary, aged 31, and her home address was 13 Clifton Gardens, Maida Vale, London, W9.8
In 1921 she was living at 264 Elgin Avenue, Maida Vale, Paddington, LondonG, and was recorded as Dorothy Grace Sackett, secretary at the Wells Club, Old Bond Street, London, a boarder, aged 31.9
Dorothy visited Spain again in 1922, returning through Southampton as a first-class passenger on the Araguaya on 30 September 1922. She was recorded as a secretary, aged 32, and living in the UK at 25 Warwick Avenue, London, W19.10 She made a further visit the following year, arriving back in Southampton from Lisbon as a first-class passenger on the Almanzora on 28 September 1923. Her address in the UK was again 25 Warwick Avenue.11
At the outbreak of the Second World War in September 1939, Dorothy was living at the Stanhope Court Hotel, Kensington, LondonG, where she was the hotel manager.12
Dorothy left a will which was proved on 26 November 1964. Her estate was valued at £2,641.13
Notes & Citations
- General Register Office, Online Index to Births, "Dec qtr 1888. Sackett, Dorothy Grace. W Ham. 4a:284."
- 1939 Register.
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Sep qtr 1964. Sackett, Dorothy G, 75. Brighton. 5h:48."
- Probate record.
- 1891 England census
Rydalmount, Grove Hill Road, Woodford, Essex
Frank Sackett, head, married, 42, mercantile clerk (empd), b. Orsett, Essex
Clara I/J Sackett, wife, 21, b. Liverpool, Lancs
Ethel G Sackett, dau, 6, b. Woodford
Frank G Sackett, son, 5, b. Woodford
Gladys V Sackett, dau, 4, b. Woodford
Dorothy G Sackett, dau, 2, b. Woodford
Ellen Crackwell, serv., unm, 17, domestic (empd), b. Walthamstow, Essex.
- 1901 England census
Clapham Junction, London
Royal Masonic Institute for Girls [for the daughters of deceased or necessitous Freemasons]
Dorothy Sackett, pupil, 12, b. Woodford, Essex.
- "UK Incoming Passenger Lists 1878–1960" (Ancestry image), "Dorothy Grace Sackett, 31, British, secretary, Demerara first class, arr. 3 Nov 1919 Plymouth, from Lisbon, UK address 13 Clifton Gardens, Maida Vale, W9, last permanent residence England, intended permanent residence England."
- 1921 England census
264 Elgin Avenue, Maida Vale, Paddington, London
Dorothy Grace Sackett, boarder, 31y 9m, single, b. Woodford, Essex, secretary, Wells Club, 24 Old Bond St
[In boarding house].
- "UK Incoming Passenger Lists 1878–1960" (Ancestry image), "Dorothy Grace Sackett, 32, British, secretary, Araguaya first class, arr. 30 Sep 1922 Southampton, from Lisbon, UK address 25 Warwick Avenue, London W19, last permanent residence England, intended permanent residence England."
- "UK Incoming Passenger Lists 1878–1960" (Ancestry image), "Dorothy Grace Sackett, 33, British, occ: blank, Almanzora 1st class, arr. 28 Sep 1923 Southampton, from Lisbon, UK address 25 Warwick Ave, W9, last permanent residence England, intended permanent residence England."
- "1939 Register" (Findmypast image), Stanhope Court Hotel, 46-52 Stanhope Gardens, South Kensington, London: Dorothy G Sackett, b. 1 Oct 1888, single, hotel manager.
- "England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills & Administrations), 1858–1995" (Ancestry image), "Sackett Dorothy Grace of 1 Wilbury Villas Hove Sussex spinster died 31 July 1964 at Bevendean Hospital Brighton Probate London 26 November to National Provincial Bank Limited. £2641."
|Sackett line||4th great-granddaughter of Richard Sackett of South Weald, Essex|
|Charts||Line 6 (English)|
|Last Edited||16 Oct 2022|