Edith Grace Sackett
|Father||William Henry Sackett (1840-1922)|
|Mother||Martha Randall (1842-1919)|
In 1881 Edith was living at Heath Place, Orsett, EssexG, and was recorded in the census as Edith G Sackett, aged four and born in Orsett, the daughter of William H Sackett.6
In 1891 she was living at Wingfield House, OrsettG, in the household of her parents William and Martha, and was recorded as Edith Grace Sackett, a scholar, aged 14 and born in Orsett.7
In 1901 she was living at Wingfield House, OrsettG, in the household of her father William, and was recorded as Edith Grace Sackett, a daily governess, single, aged 24 and born in Orsett.8
Edith proved her mother Martha's will on 16 May 1919. Her estate was valued at £798.9
In 1921 she was living at 21 Camden Square, St Pancras, LondonG, in the household of her sister Ada and brother-in-law Herbert Perkins, and was recorded as Edith Grace Sackett, single, aged 44.10
Edith proved her father William's will on 10 June 1922. His estate was valued at £1,573.11
Edith visited South Africa in 1924, arriving back in London from Natal as a first-class passenger on the Grantully Castle on 23 January 1924. Her UK address was 21 Camden Square, London, NW1, and she was recorded as having no occupation.12
At the outbreak of the Second World War in September 1939, Edith was living at The Pod, High Street, Thurrock, EssexG. She had private means.13
Edith left a will which was proved in LondonG on 26 June 1946. Her estate was valued at £4,526.14
Notes & Citations
- General Register Office, Online Index to Births, "Mar qtr 1877. Sackett, Edith Grace. Mother: Randall. Orsett. 4a:238."
- 1939 Register.
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Mar qtr 1946. Sackett, Edith G, 68. Colchester."
- Probate record.
- "Essex Monumental Inscriptions" (Findmypast transcript), St Giles & All Saints, Orsett, Essex, "Treble grey kerb with grey Celtic cross on a double plinth. // East side, top plinth: In loving memory of / William Henry Sackett / died 26th April 1922 aged 82 / Bottom plinth: Martha / his wife / died 19 Feb 1919 aged 76 / West kerb: Also Walter Randall died at Vancouver B.C. April 12th 1893 aged 23. Wilfred died Dec 23rd 1930 aged 57 / South kerb: Gertrude Mary died March 2nd 1897 aged 22. Sidney Rupert died May 8th 1919 aged 37 / East kerb: Ada Perkins daughter of above died 15th February 1947 aged (--) years. Edith Grace Sackett daughter of above / died 2nd January 1946 aged 69 years / Stonemason: Maile & Son Ltd / Euston Rd London /."
- 1881 England census
Heath Place, Orsett, Essex
William H Sackett, head, M, 41, rate collector, b. Orsett
Martha Sackett, wife, M, 37, b. Orsett
Ada Sackett, dau, 12, scholar, b. Orsett
Walter R Sackett, son, 11, scholar, b. Orsett
Wilfred Sackett, son, 7, scholar, b. Orsett
Gertrude M Sackett, dau, 6, scholar, b. Grays, Essex
Edith G Sackett, dau, 4, scholar, b. Orsett
Mary A Ruff, serv., U, 15, domestic servant, b. Orsett.
- 1891 England census
RG12, piece 1380, folio 87, p. 29, GSU roll 6096490
Wingfield House, Orsett, Essex
William Henry Sackett, head, married, 51, collector of poor rates, b. Essex, Orsett
Martha Sackett, wife, 48, b. Essex, Orsett
Ada Sackett, dau, single, 22, mother's help, b. Essex, Orsett
Walter Randall Sackett, son, single, 21, assistant collector, b. Essex, Orsett
Wilfrid Sackett, son, single, 17, farm bailiff, b. Essex, Orsett
Gertrude Mary Sackett, dau, 16, scholar, b. Essex, Orsett
Edith Grace Sackett, dau, 14, scholar, b. Essex, Orsett
Sidney Rupert Sackett, son, 8, scholar, b. Essex, Orsett
Annie Elizabeth Kempster, servant, single, 16, general servant domestic, b. Essex, Bulphan.
- 1901 England census
Wingfield House, St Giles & All Saints, Orsett, Essex
William Henry Sackett, head, M, 61, collector of poor rates, b. Orsett
Ada Sackett, dau, S, 32, mothers help, at home, b. Orsett
Edith Grace Sackett, dau, S, 24, daily governess, b. Orsett
Wilfrid Sackett, son, S, 27, carter on farm, b. Orsett
Sydney Rupert Sackett, son, S, 18, land agents clerk, b. Orsett
Harriet Rose Johnson, servt, S, 15, general servant domestic, b. Orsett.
- "England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills & Administrations), 1858–1995" (Ancestry image), "Sackett Martha of 37 White Hill-road Gravesend Kent (wife of William Henry Sackett) died 19 February 1919 Probate London 16 May to Edith Grace Sackett spinster. Effects £798."
- 1921 England census
21 Camden Square, St Pancras, London
Herbert Mottram Perkins, head, 42y 8m, married, b. Marylebone, London, retired builder
Ada Perkins, wife, 52y 7m, married, b. Orsett, Essex, home duties
Herbert Tennison Perkins, son, 13y 9m, b. Elstree, Hertfordshire
Benjamin William Perkins, son, 12y, b. Elstree
William Henry Sackett, father-in-law, 81y 3m, widowed, b. Orsett, retired rate collector, Orsett Union Parishes
Edith Grace Sackett, sister-in-law, 44y 6m, single, b. Orsett, home duties.
- "England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills & Administrations), 1858–1995" (Ancestry image), "Sackett William Henry of 21 Camden-square Middlesex died 26 April 1922 Probate London 10 June to Edith Grace Sackett spinster. Effects £1573 2s."
- "UK Incoming Passenger Lists 1878–1960" (Ancestry image), "Edith Grace Sackett, 47, occ: none, British, Grantully Castle 1st class, arr. 23 Jan 1924 London, from Natal, South Africa, UK address 21 Camden Sq, NW1, last permanent residence England, intended permanent residence England."
- "1939 Register" (Findmypast image), Sackett household, The Pod, High Street, Thurrock U D, Essex: RG101/1550E/004/10, Edith G Sackett, b. 20 Dec 1876, single, private means; Frances M Asplin, b. 1861.
- "England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills & Administrations), 1858–1995" (Ancestry image), "Sackett Edith Grace of The Pod Orsett Essex spinster died 2 January 1946 at Severalls Hospital Colchester Probate London 26 June to Walter Mottram Perkins chartered surveyor. Effects £4526 10s. 11d."
|Sackett line||4th great-granddaughter of Richard Sackett of South Weald, Essex|
|Charts||Line 6 (English)|
|Last Edited||12 Nov 2022|