|Father||Jeremiah Sackett (1775-1847)|
|Mother||Sarah Hodgeman (1779-1850)|
In 1841 Sarah was living at Effingham Place, Ramsgate, KentG, and was recorded in the census as Sarah Sackett, a dressmaker, aged 30, and born not in Kent. Living with her were her children: Elizabeth, 12, Sarah, 10, John, 6, Maria, 4, and Emma, 1, all born in Kent. Also in the household was a 15-year-old female servant. An 1841 census record for John has not been found.11,12
By 1848 John had become financially insolvent and a hearing was held at the County Court, Ramsgate, on 24 June 1848.13
In 1851 John was living at 6 Cavendish Street, Ramsgate, KentG, and was recorded in the census as John Sackett, master tailor, head of household, a widower, aged 44, and born in Ramsgate. Living with him were his son John, aged 18, and daughter Emma, aged 12.14
In 1861 he was living at 4 George Place, Ramsgate, KentG, and was recorded as John Sackett, a tailor, head of household, married, aged 54, and born in Ramsgate. Living with him was his wife Elizabeth, aged 40 and born in Cornwall.15
In 1871 he was living at 4 Codrington Road, Ramsgate, KentG, and was recorded as John Sackett, a tailor, head of household, married, aged 65, and born at Ramsgate. Living with him was his wife Elizabeth, aged 55 and born at Mevagissy, Cornwall.16
Children of John Sackett and Sarah Ashby
Notes & Citations
- Baptisms Register, St Lawrence in Thanet, Kent (Society of Genealogists), "7 April 1805 John s. Jeremiah & Sarah Sackett, bn. 6 March."
- Baptisms Register, St Lawrence in Thanet, Kent (Society of Genealogists), "7 April 1805 John s. Jeremiah & Sarah Sackett, bn 6 March."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Mar qtr 1873. Sackett, John, 67. Thanet."
- Burials Register, St George, Ramsgate (Transcript), "26 February 1873 John Sackett, of Cannon Road, 67 years."
- Sarah's maiden surname possibly Ashby. Marriage record not yet found.
- Birth date based on age at death.
- Burials Register, St George, Ramsgate (Transcript), "26 November 1846 Sarah Sackett, Ramsgate, 41 years."
- Marriages Register, St Pancras Old Church, London, Middlesex, "14 October 1855 John Sackett, full age, widower, tailor, Grafton Street, father Jeremiah Sackett (dead), & Elizabeth Rutter, full age, spinster, University Street, father James Rutter (dead). Witnesses: George Smith, [illegible 2nd wit]."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Marriages, "Dec qtr 1855. Sackett, John. St Pancras. 1b:25."
- Date of birth based on age recorded in censuses.
- 1841 England census
Effingham Place, Ramsgate, Kent
Sarah Sackett, 30, dressmaker, b. not Kent
Elizabeth Sackett, 12, b. Kent
Sarah Sackett, 10, b. Kent
John Sackett, 6, b. Kent
Maria Sackett, 4, b. Kent
Emma Sackett, 1 , b. Kent
Sarah Philpott, 15, FS, b. Kent
HO107; Piece 469; Book: 5; Civil Parish: Preston By Wingham [error for Ramsgate]; County: Kent; Enumeration District: 10; Folio: 33; Page: 6; Line: 2; GSU roll: 306864.
- 1841 England census.
- The London Gazette, digital image, (https://www.thegazette.co.uk), 13 June 1848.
- 1851 England census
6 Cavendish St.
John SACKETT, head, widower, 44, tailor (master), b. Kent, Ramsgate
John SACKETT, son, unmarried, 18, tailor (apprentice), Kent, Ramsgate
Emma SACKETT, dau, 12, b. Kent, Ramsgate
Edmund CLARK, head, married, 25, carpenter journeyman, Kent, Ramsgate
Mahala[?] CLARK, wife, 29, b. Devon, Brixham
Elizabeth CLARK, dau, 11 months, b. Kent, Ramsgate.
- 1861 England census
4 George Place, Ramsgate, Kent
John Sackett, head, married, 54, tailor, b. Ramsgate, Kent
Elizabeth Sackett, wife, 40, b. Cornwall.
- 1871 England census
4 Codrington Road, Ramsgate, Kent
John Sackett, head, married, 65, tailor, b. Ramsgate
Elizabeth Sackett, wife, 55, tailor's wife, b. Mevagissy, Cornwall.
|Sackett line||6th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
|Last Edited||24 Jul 2017|