Alexander T Sackett
|Father||David Filer Sackett MD (1780-1864)|
|Mother||Martha Milliken (1787-1874)|
Alexander served as a Union soldier in the American Civil War. He was captured by the Confederates in McCook's Raid at Newnan, Georgia, in July 1864. After several months' imprisonment, he was exchanged in February 1865 at the NE Ferry of the Cape Fear river, then travelling to Wilmington, North Carolina, where he was to join a ship to Fort Monroe, Virginia. He died aboard the US Army Transport steamer General Lyon which was burned off Cape Hatteras and destroyed on 31 March 1865, with the loss of more than 500 passengers and crew.2
Children of Alexander T Sackett and Cornelia Clark Gilbert
- Mary E Sackett b. 30 Nov 1845
- Thomas Leroy Sackett+ b. 1 Nov 1847, d. 15 Jul 1929
- Emma E Sackett b. 15 Apr 1849
- Daniel Milliken Sackett b. 31 Aug 1851, d. 10 Jun 1919
- Jennie Sackett+ b. 28 Oct 1853
- Charles J Sackett b. 18 Oct 1855
- James A Sackett b. 20 May 1857
- Clara A Sackett b. 10 Apr 1859
- William Sackett b. 7 Dec 1861, d. 1865
3962. Alexander Sackett, 1820–1864, son of (1535) Dr. David F. and Martha Milliken Sackett, was married, Feb. 20, 1845, to Cornelia Clark Gilbert, daughter of William Gilbert and his wife Anna Delamater. Mr. Sackett was a Union veteran of the Civil War. He enlisted in 8th Iowa Cavalry, which was attached to the 15th Army Corps. After participating with credit in several engagements he was captured by the Confederates in McCook's raid at Newman, Georgia, and suffered confinement in several prisons. At length, in 1864, he was exchanged, and broken in health started north on the steamer General Lyon, which was lost with all on board between Fortress Monroe and Wilmington. In 1869 his widow married Hampton Olney, who died in 1883. In 1905 she was residing with her son, James A. Sackett, on a farm they own jointly near Dudley, Ill.
6891. Thomas S. Sackett, b. Nov. 1, 1847; m. Amanda Piper.
6892. Emma E. Sackett, b. Apr. 15, 1849; m. Joseph Beach.
6893. Daniel M. Sackett, b. Aug. 31, 1851; m. Anna Conwell.
6894. Jennie Sackett, b. Oct. 28, 1853.
6895. Charles J. Sackett, b. Oct. 18, 1855; unmarried in 1905.
6896. James A. Sackett, b. May 20, 1857; unmarried in 1905.
6897. Clara A. Sackett, b. Apr. 10, 1859.
6898. William Sackett, b. Dec. 7, 1861, d. in 1865.
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "3962. Alexander Sacket, b. Jan 22 1820, d. in 1864, m. Caroline C. Gilbert."
- Email from Peter Holman, author of Going Home: The Short Life and Sudden Death of the U.S. Army Transport Steamer "General Lyon", to Chris Sackett, Aug 2021.
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Sackett line||7th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||8 Oct 2021|