The Revd George Whitefield Sackett
|Father||The Revd Benjamin Sackett (1834-1900)|
|Mother||Elizabeth Lee (1835-1920)|
George Whitfield Sackett (who was surely named after George Whitfield (or Whitefield), the evangelist and a founder of Methodism) served in a number of English parishes during his ministry—Paton, Nottingham, 1899–1902; St Mary's, Morley, Yorkshire (assistant), 1902–05; Todmorden, Yorkshire, 1905–12; Netherfield, Penistone, Yorkshire, 1913–18; South Ockenden, Essex 1919–24; Wisbech, Cambridgeshire, 1924–29; and Stocksbridge, Sheffield, Yorkshire, 1929–47. In 1918–19 he was engaged in Army work with the Young Men's Christian Association in Salonica, Greece.2
In 1881 George was living at 7 Trinity Terrace, Stepney, MiddlesexG, and was recorded in the census as George W Sackett, aged eight and born at Langford, Oxford, the son of Benjamin Sackett.10
In 1891 he was living at 14 Albert Square, Stepney, MiddlesexG, and was recorded as George Whit. Sackett, a shipbroker's clerk (employed), aged 18 and born at Langford, Oxford, the son of Benjamin Sackett.11
In 1901 he was living at 2 Chaucer Street, Wanstead, EssexG, in the household of his widowed mother Elizabeth, and was recorded as George W Sackett, a theological student, single, aged 28 and born in Langford, Oxford.12
In 1911 he was living at 14 Beaumont Street, Todmorden, YorkshireG, and was recorded as George Whitefield Sackett, Congregational minister, head of household, married, aged 38 an born in Langford, Oxfordshire. Living with him were his wife Elizabeth, 38, and their children, Benjamin, 7, Winifred, 6, and Irene, aged three.13
George served with the British Army during the First World War as a chaplain with the Young Mens Christian Association, serving in France from August 1916.14,15
In 1922 George was living at The Manse, South Ockendon, Romford, EssexG.16
At the outbreak of the Second World War in September 1939, George and Mary were living at Wood Lynne, Pot House Lane, Stocksbridge, YorkshireG, where George was a Congregational minister.17
Administration of George's estate was granted on 27 May 1955 to his widow Mary. His estate was valued at £435.18
Children of The Revd George Whitefield Sackett and Elizabeth Finlay Kingston
Notes & Citations
- GRO Indexes to Births, 1837 to date, "Jun qtr 1873. Sackett, George Whitfield. Mother: Lee. Faringdon. 2c:251."
- Website The Surman Index Online (Dr Williams's Centre for Dissenting Studies) (http://surman.english.qmul.ac.uk), "Sackett, George Whitefield
b. Langford, Oxon, 26 March 1873
s. of Benjamin (d. 1900), q.v.
[Parishes] Paton, Nottingham 1899–1902; St Mary's, Morley, Yorks, asst. 1902–05; Todmorden, Yorks 1905–12; Netherfield, Penistone, Yorks 1913–18; Y.M.C.A., Army work, Salonica 1918–19; South Ockenden, Essex 1919–24; Wisbech, Cambs 1924–29; Stocksbridge, Sheffield, Yorks 1929–47
Died 28 March 1955
[cf.] C.Y.B. 1956, pp. 522f
m. (i) 1902, Elizabeth Finlay Kingston (d. 1936); son Benjamin Howard (1903– ), q.v.; (ii) 1937, Margaret Hannah Jubb, of Stocksbridge."
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Mar qtr 1955. Sackett, George W, 82. Wortley."
- Probate record.
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (FreeBMD), "Sep qtr 1902. Sackett, George Whitefield. St. Geo. East. 1c:582."
"Sep qtr 1902. Kingston, Elizabeth Finlay. St. Geo. East. 1c:582."
- Based on age at death.
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Mar qtr 1936. Sackett, Elizabeth F, 63. Wortley."
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Mar qtr 1937. Sackett, George W. Spouse: Jubb. Wortley. 9c:695."
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Mar qtr 1937. Jubb, Mary H. Spouse: Sackett. Wortley. 9c:695."
- 1881 Census for England & Wales, 7 Trinity Terrace, Stepney, Middlesex
Benjamin SACKETT, head, M, 46, Indep. Minister, Ebenezer Chapel, Watney St., b. Hythe, Kent
Elizabeth SACKETT, wife, M, 45, b. Hythe
Elizabeth S SACKETT, dau, U, 20, b. Hythe
Emily Lucy SACKETT, dau, U, 17, b. Hythe
Annie C D SACKETT, dau, 12, b. Ealing, Middlesex
Blanche E SACKETT, dau, 9, b. Heston, Middlesex
George W SACKETT, son, 8, b. Langford, Oxford
John W SACKETT, son, 6, b. Langford
Martin L SACKETT, son, 4, b. Langford
Robert M SACKETT, son, 11m, b. Bow, Middlesex
- 1891 Census for England & Wales, RG12/293/f9
14 Albert Square, Stepney, Middlesex
Benjamin Sackett, head, M, 56, Congr. minister, b. Hythe, Kent
Elizabeth Sackett, wife, M, 55, b. Hythe
Annie C D Sackett, dau, 22, b. Heston, Middlesex
Blanche E Sackett, dau, 19, b. Heston
George Whit. Sackett, son, 18, shipbroker's clerk (empd), b. Langford, Oxford
John Wesley Sackett, son, 16, shipbroker's clerk (empd), b. Langford
Martin Luther Sackett, son, 14, stationer's assist., b. Langford
Robert M Sackett, son, 10, b. Bow, London.
- 1901 Census for England & Wales, 1608/58,
2 Chaucer Street, Wanstead (St Mary) (5+ rooms)
Elizabeth Sackett, head, widow, 65, b. Hythe, Kent
Emily L Spice, dau, widow, 37, b. Hythe
George W Sackett, son, single, 28, theological student, b. Langford, Oxon
Martin L Sackett, son, single, 24, merchants' clerk, worker, b. Langford
Robert M Sackett, son, single, 20, merchants' clerk, worker, b. Bow, London, Middlesex
Dorothy W Spice, g-dau, 3, b. Mile End, London."
- 1911 England census, digital image, Ancestry.com, 14 Beaumont Street, Todmorden, Yorkshire West Riding
George Whitefield Sackett, head, 38, married, Congregational minister, b. Oxon, Langford
Elizabeth Finlay Sackett, wife, 38, m. 8y, 3 ch, all living, b. London, St George's-in-the-East
Benjamin Howard Sackett, son, 7, b. Yorks, Morley
Winifred Sackett, dau, 6, b. Yorks, Morley
Irene Sackett, dau, 3, b. Yorks, Todmorden.
- "Britain, Campaign, Gallantry & Long Service Medals & Awards", database, Findmypast.
- "British Army Medal Index Cards, 1914-1920", digital image, The National Archives, "Sackett, George W, Rev, Young Mens Christian Association, British Medal, Theatre of War France entry 2 Aug 1916. WO372/17."
- Website Kelly's Directory of Essex (Ancestry.co.uk) (http://www.ancestry.co.uk), 1922. Essex. Private Residents, "Sackett Rev. George Whitfield, The Manse, South Ockendon, Romford."
- "1939 Register", UK, digital image, Findmypast, Sackett household, Wood Lynne, Pot House Lane, Stocksbridge, Yorkshire: George W Sackett, b. 26 Mar 1873, married, Congregational Minister; Mary H Sackett, b. 1 Feb 1890, married, unpaid domestic duties.
- "England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills & Administrations), 1858–1995", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Sackett George Whitefield of Wood Lynne Stocksbridge Sheffield died 28 March 1955 Administration Wakefield 27 May to Mary Hannah Sackett widow. Effects £435 2s. 11d."
|See also||Benjamin Sackett (1834–1900) gallery & descendant chart|
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Church|
Sacketts in the Military
|Sackett line||8th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
Descendants of Benjamin Sackett
|Last Edited||25 Jun 2020|