|Father||Joseph Fox Marr (1869-1943)|
|Mother||Annie Sackett (1870-1942)|
(Src: German Occupation identity card, States of Guernsey, Island Archives, researched by Chris Sackett)
In 1901 Sidney was living at Victoria Avenue, St Sampson's, GuernseyG, in the household of his parents Joseph and Annie, and was recorded in the census as Sidney Marr, aged four and born in England.8
In 1911 he was living at 4 Albion Terrace, Vale Road, St Sampson'sG, in the household of his mother Annie, and was recorded as Sidney Marr, a house furnisher's assistant, aged 14 and born in Hull.9
Sidney and Florence were living in Guernsey at the time of the German invasion and subsequent occupation of the island during the Second World War. They were among a large number of English-born islanders deported to Germany on Hitler's orders in reprisal for various British actions elsewhere. Sidney was eventually released and, after the war, married Violet Burge, also an internee at Biberach Camp and a friend of Florence's.
|Charts||Descendants of Jabez Sackett|
Notes & Citations
- Website England & Wales Birth Index (GRO Civil Registration Index) (Ancestry.com) (http://search.ancestry.co.uk/), "Mar qtr 1897. Marr, Sidney. Sculcoates. 9d:155."
- Website England & Wales Death Index, 1916–2005 (GRO Civil Registration Index) (Ancestry.com) (http://search.ancestry.co.uk/), "Sep qtr 1973. Marr, Sidney, b. 31 Dec 1896. Poole. 7c:337."
- Baptism, Wesleyan Methodist Church, Hull, Yorkshire (England Births and Christenings, LDS FamilySearch), "18 Feb 1897, Sidney Marr, s. of Joseph Marr & Annie."
- "UK, Foreign and Overseas Registers of British Subjects", digital image, Ancestry.com, death certificate, Florence Montague Marr née Barnes, b. 23 Apr 1896, d. 24 Dec 1944, Biberach Internment Camp, Germany, cerebrale apoplexie.
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (FreeBMD), "Sep qtr 1946. Marr, Sidney. Spouse: Burge. Westminster. 5c:1054."
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (FreeBMD), "Sep qtr 1946. Burge, Violet L. Spouse: Marr. Westminster. 5c:1054."
- Email from Lesley Avery to Chris Sackett, June 2014.
- 1901 Channel Islands census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, 5322/58
Victoria Avenue, St Sampson's, Guernsey
Joseph Marr, head, M, 31, life insurance agent, worker, b. England
Annie Marr, wife, M, 31, b. England
Leonard Marr, son, 10, b. England
Elsie Marr, dau, 9, b. England
Charles Marr, son, 7, b. England
Sidney Marr, son, 4, b. England.
- 1911 England census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, RG14, piece 34759, schedule 138
4 Albion Terrace, Vale Rd, St Sampson's
Annie Marr, head, 41, married, m. 22y, 6 ch, 4 living, housewife, at home, b. Woodchurch, Kent, father b. Hythe, Kent
Leonard Marr, son, 20, single, cabinet maker, worker, b. Hull, father b. Hunmanby, Yorks
Elsie Nora Marr, dau, 19, single, shop assistant, worker, b. Hull, father b. Hunmanby, Yorks
Charles Fredk Marr, son, 17, grocer assistant, worker, b. Hull, father b. Hunmanby, Yorks
Sidney Marr, son, 14, house furnisher assistant, worker, b. Hull, father b. Hunmanby, Yorks.
|Sackett line||9th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder|
|Last Edited||26 January 2017|