Edward Newing Sackett
|Father||Jeremiah Sackett (1749-1838)|
|Mother||Hannah Newing (c 1761-1816)|
Edward was named as a beneficiary in his father's will made in Northwood, St Lawrence in Thanet, KentG, on 12 March 1838.7 He was to inherit a house next to that of his brother Benjamin at Sackett's Hill, St Peter's, and a half-share with his brother Benjamin in a third adjoining house. Edward and his brother Benjamin were also left jointly two houses at Northwood, one of which was occupied by their father's brother Edward and their father's great-niece Ann Darby who was the housekeeper. Edward and his brother were to provide financially for their aged uncle and for Ann.
In 1841 Edward was living at George Row, St Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey, SurreyG, and was recorded in the census as Edward Sackett, a shipwright, aged 60 and born outside Surrey. The other members of his household were his wife Ann, aged 55 and described as Irish, and his son Edward, aged 20.8
In 1851 he was living at 9 James Place, Bermondsey, SurreyG, and was recorded as Edward Sackett, a shipwright, head of household, a lodger, aged 76 [actually 71] and born in Ramsgate.9
Child of Edward Newing Sackett and Ann ___
- Edward Jeremiah Sackett b. 20 Aug 1816, d. 1841
|Charts||Tree 3. Thomas Sackett the elder descendant chart (English line)|
Notes & Citations
- Baptisms Register, St Lawrence the Martyr, Thanet, Kent (Society of Genealogists), "12 March 1780 Edward Newing s. Jeremiah & Hannah Sackett, bn. 19 February."
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, 1837 to date, "Jun qtr 1853. Sackett, Edward Newing, 74. Bermondsey. 1d:70."
- Burials Register, St James' Church, Bermondsey, Surrey, digital image, Ancestry.com, "18 Jun 1853 Edward Newing Sackett, of Salisbury Street, 74."
- Date of birth based on age at death.
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, 1837 to date, "Mar qtr 1842. Sackett, Ann, 60. Bermondsey. 4:1."
- Burials Register, St James' Church, Bermondsey, Surrey, digital image, Ancestry.com, "5 Jan 1842 Ann Sackett, George Row, 60."
- Will of Jeremiah Sackett of Northwood, St Lawrence, Kent, 12 March 1838, proved in the Archdeaconry Court of Canterbury, 4 July 1838 (Kent Archives Office, KAO PRC 17-110-240).
- 1841 England census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, George Row, St Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey, Surrey
Edward Sacket, 60, shipwright, b. not Surrey
Ann Sacket, 55, b. Ireland
Edward Sacket, 20, shipwright ap, b. Surrey
HO107; Piece 1048; Book: 4; Civil Parish: St Mary Magdalen Bermondsey; County: Surrey; Enumeration District: 10; Folio: 24; Page: 2; Line: 19; GSU roll: 474649. [Also researched at PRO by Marion Sackett].
- 1851 Census for England & Wales, 9 James Pl., Bermondsey, Surrey
Edward Sackett, head, lodger, 76, shipwright, b. Kent, Ramsgate
|Sackett line||5th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder|
|Last Edited||29 November 2016|