Robert Sackett Tomlin
|Father||Robert Tomlin (1770-1850)|
|Mother||Sarah Cramp (1771-1846)|
Robert was elected in November 1839 by the Court of Exchequer of the Privy Council to serve as a sheriff of Northamptonshire. His residence then was Fotheringhay Castle.6
In 1841 Robert was living at The Hall, Great Abington, CambridgeshireG, and was recorded in the census as Robt Tomlin, of independent means, aged 50+ and born not in Cambridgeshire. Living with him were his wife Elizabeth, 45+, and their children, Robert, 19, Bankes, 17, Thomas, 15, and Latham, aged 14. Also in the household were three male and three female servants.7
In 1861 he was living at Wesgate Street, St Marks, Peterborough, NorthamptonshireG, and was recorded as Robert Sackett Tomlin, a private gentleman, head of household, married, aged 70 and born in Thanet. Living with him were his wife Elizabeth Ann, 67, and son Banks, 36. Also in the household were three female and one male servants.81
Sir Bernard Burke, A Genealogical and Heraldic Dictionary of the Landed Gentry of Great Britain and Ireland
TOMLIN OF DANE COURT
Tomlin, Robert-Sackett, Esq. of Dane Court, Isle of Thanet, and Westgate House, co. Northampton, J.P. and D.L., b. 15 Sept. 1790; m. 5 May 1817, Elizabeth-Anne, dau. of John Bankes, Esq. of Otley, co. York, and Clapham Common, co. Surrey, and had issue, four sons and one dau.
I. Mary, m. to John-Glenton Atkinson, Esq. of The Vineyard, Peterborough.
Mr. Tomlin has been twice High Sheriff for Northamptonshire. His family is one of high respectability, long seated in the Isle of Thanet. His grandfather, John Tomlin, Esq. of the Isle of Thanet, m. Miss Sarah Cock, an heiress of good fortune, and his father, Robert Tomlin, Esq. of the Isle of Thanet, who d. 1850, aged 81, still further increased his patrimony by marrying, 1790, Sarah, dau. of Peter Cramp, Esq. and granddau. of the wealthy Richard Sackett, Esq. of North Down.
Children of Robert Sackett Tomlin and Elizabeth Anne Bankes
Notes & Citations
- Sir Bernard Burke, A Genealogical and Heraldic Dictionary of the Landed Gentry of Great Britain and Ireland, Hurst and Blackett, London (1855).
- Baptism, St John the Baptist, Margate, Kent (LDS FamilySearch, England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975), film 1866678, "Robert Sackett Tomlin, bp. 5 Oct 1790, s. Robert & Sarah Tomlin."
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, 1837 to date (FreeBMD), "Jun qtr 1868. Tomlin, Robert Sackett, 77. Thanet. 2a:425."
- Burial, St Peter the Apostle, Thanet, Kent (LDS FamilySearch, England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991), film 1835666, "3 May 1868 Robert Sackett Tomlin."
- Marriages Register, St Mary Somerset, City of London (image on Ancestry.co.uk), "Robert Sackett Tomlin of the parish of St Peter the Apostle in the Isle of Thanet in the County of Kent, bachelor, and Elizabeth Ann Bankes of the parish of St Mary Somerset, London, spinster, were married in this church by licence this fifth day of May 1817, by me, Richd Edwards, Curate. Both signed. Witnesses: Harriet Tomlin, George Bankes."
- The Times, (London), 13 November 1839, p. 4.
- 1841 England census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com (http://search.ancestry.co.uk), HO107, piece 66, book 1, p. 1, GSU roll 241223
Hall, Great Abington, County of Cambridge
Robt Tomlin, 50+, ind, b. not Cambridge
Elizth Tomlin, 45+, b. not Cambridge
Robt Tomlin, 19, b. not Cambridge
Bankes Tomlin, 17, b. not Cambridge
Thos Tomlin, 15, b. not Cambridge
Latham Tomlin, 14, b. not Cambridge
Sarah Williams, 40+, fs, b. not Cambridge
Elizth ??blet, 20+, fs, b. not Cambridge
[blank] Reeves, 20+ fs, b. not Cambridge
Willm Harding, 25+, ms, b. not Cambridge
John Kirk, 25+, ms, b. not Cambridge
Willm Snow?, 15+, ms, b. not Cambridge.
- 1861 England census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com (http://search.ancestry.co.uk), RG9, piece 966, folio 103, p 4, GSU roll 542729,
Wesgate Street, St Marks, Peterboro
Robert Sackett Tomlin, head, married, 70, private gentleman, b. Thanet
Elizabeth Ann Tomlin, wife, 67, b. London
Banks Tomlin, son, unm., 36, late Capt of Dragoon Guards, b. Thanet
Lucy Burbridge, serv., unm., 38, general serv., b. Peterboro
Harriet Lane, serv., unm., 28, general serv., b. Norfolk
Fanny Garner, serv., unm., 27, general serv., b. Norfolk
George Jackson, serv., unm., 30, general serv., b. Leicestershire.
|Last Edited||14 May 2011|