Mariah Sacket was born in Owego, New York StateG, in 17981 and died there aged about 84 on 25 June 1882.1,2 Her parents have not been identified.3 She married in about 1815, Harvey Smith, son of Dr Amos Smith and Christiana Phelps.1,4 Harvey was born in Sandisfield, MassachusettsG, on 10 May 17961,5 and died aged 80 in Owego, Tioga CountyG, on 12 July 1876.1,2
Children of Mariah Sacket and Harvey Smith
|See also||Thurmon King's Database, 34708 Maria Sacket|
Notes & Citations
- Email from Linda Curran to Chris Sackett, March 2011.
- Email from Ruth Rowles to Sackett mailing list, 14 Jan 2007.
- Email from Ruth Rowles to Sackett mailing list, March 2011, I am a direct descendent of Maria Sacket and Harvy Smith. I descend from their son, Rev. John C. Smith. I have a lot of information in my database on all of the descendents of Maria Sacket.
I have been wrestling with the question of who Maria Sacket was, and how this fits into the Sackett database. See an e-mail I wrote in 2007 with a reply from Thurmon King: http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/SACKETT/…
key resource for the Smith’s that is online is the Association of Descendent of Ralph Smith of Hingham and Eastham: http://www.smyth1633.org/ There is a book download page which is useful. I recommend the genealogy, “Ralph Smyth of Hingham and Eastham”, by Dwight Smith, published in 1913 by Tobias A. Wright (New York), which has interesting descriptions of the Smiths and is not online. Other than mentioning the maiden name of Maria or Mariah as Sacket, there is no reference to who her parents were in any of the Smith genealogies. I have also not found any record of the marriage. It would be interesting to trace back the first use of her maiden name. She is definitely named in the 1913 genealogy. I’ve looked through the Sandisfield, Norfolk, and Colebrook marriage records that are available on film for the marriage of Harvy Smith, and not found him.
I believe Maria Sacket is the daughter of Joel Sackett (c. 1770 – b. 1804) and Lydia Todd of North Haven, CT. If you look at Joel Sackett’s siblings, both Amelia Sackett (who married Joel Todd) and Solomon Sackett moved to the Sandisfield area. Joel Todd could be Lydia Todd's brother. If Maria Sackett lived with either Amelia Sackett Toddd or Solomon Todd, or visited them, after her mother’s second marriage, she would have been in the vicinity of Amos Smith’s family in South Sandisfield. In the 1840 census Harvey Smith was listed adjacent to Joel Todd (and by inference his wife Amelia Sackett).
By the way, if you follow Amelia Sackett’s genealogy, she and Joel Todd had a daughter Amelia Todd in Sandisfield, who became the mother of a governor of Connecticut. http://www.cslib.org/gov/cookel.htm
- Email from Ruth Rowles to Sackett mailing list, 14 Jan 2007, date based on birth of first child.
- Email from Ruth Rowles to Sackett mailing list, 14 Jan 2007, citing Sandisfield vital records.
- Email from Ruth Rowles to Sackett mailing list, 14 Jan 2007, birth place according to West Stockbridge, MA, marriage record.
|Last Edited||12 March 2018|