Alfred James Sackett
|Father||Jabez Sackett (1840-1925)|
|Mother||Sarah Anne "Annie" Young (1842-1915)|
(Src: States Archives, Occupation ID card)
In 1871 Alfred was living at High Street, Hythe, KentG, in the household of his parents Jabez and Sarah, and was recorded in the census as Alfred J Sackett, aged five and born in Rye, Sussex.14
In 1881 he was living at High Street, St Leonard, Hythe, KentG, in the household of his uncle George Young, a grocer, and was recorded as Alfred Sackett, a grocer's assistant, aged 15, and born in Rye, Sussex.15
In 1891 he was living at 2 Anne Street, Cheetham, Manchester, LancashireG, and was recorded as Alf J Sackett, a commercial clerk, head of household, married, aged 25 and born in Rye. Living with him was his wife Millian, aged 19.16
In 1901 he was living at 5 Francis Terrace, Islington, LondonG, and was recorded as Alfred J Sackett, a selling agent, head of household, married, aged 35, and born in Rye, Sussex. Living with him were his wife Lydia, aged 32 and born in Hull, and their two-year-old daughter Alma.17
Alfred and Lydia Sackett moved sometime between 1901 and 1905 from London to Guernsey where Alfred's parents and siblings were already established.
In 1911 he was living at Ollivier Street, St Anne's, AlderneyG, and was recorded as Alfred James Sackett, a clerk, head of household, married, aged 45 and born in Rye, Sussex. Living with him were his wife Lydia, 41, and their children, Alma, 12, Leslie, 5, and Douglas, aged three.18
Child of Alfred James Sackett and Millian "Millie" Davies
- Dorothy Sackett b. 1891, d. 7 Feb 1892
Children of Alfred James Sackett and Lydia Hatfield
|Charts||Tree 3. Thomas Sackett the elder descendant chart (English line)|
Descendants of Jabez Sackett
Notes & Citations
- GRO Indexes to Births, 1837 to date, "Dec qtr 1865. Sackett, Alfred James. Mother: Young. Rye. 2b:1."
- Baptisms Register, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Rye, Sussex (E. Sussex Register Office, 1837-1884), "21 November 1865 Alfred James s. Jabez Sackett & Sarah Ann, of Rye; b. 16 October 1865."
- Register of Deaths, Guernsey (Guernsey Greffe, Royal Court House), 223/18, "15 January 1942, 7.10 a.m., Alfred James Sackett, 76, father Jabez Sackett, mother Sarah Ann Young, d. at Grange Road, male nurse, of Balure, Grange Road, St Peter Port, b. England."
- Guernsey Star, report of sudden death.
- Guernsey Evening Press, funeral report & obituary.
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Mar qtr 1891. Sackett, Alfred James. Prestwich. 8d:495."
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (FreeBMD), "Mar qtr 1891. Davies, Millian. Prestwich. 8d:495."
- GRO Indexes to Births, 1837 to date, "Mar qtr 1872. Davies, Millian. Mother: Robinson. Salford. 8d:87."
- 1911 census.
- Birth certificate, "Lydia Hatfield, b. 9 Sep 1868, at 4 Providence Terrace, Gibson Street, West Sculcoates, York, d. of John Hatfield, miller journeyman, & Sarah Jane Hatfield formerly Shaw, of 4 Providence Terrace, Gibson Street, Hull."
- Register of Deaths, Guernsey (Guernsey Greffe, Royal Court House), "10 October 1954, Lydia Hatfield, widow of Alfred James Sackett, 86, father John Hatfield, mother Sarah Jane Shaw, at Princess Elizabeth Hospital, of Barrycroft, Vara Road, St Martin's, b. York, Yorkshire." (f123/537).
- 1871 England census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, RG10, piece1018, folio 18, p. 27, GSU roll 827265
High Street, Elham, Kent
Jabez Sackett, head, married, 30, schoolmaster, b. Hythe, Kent
Sarah Sackett, wife, 27, b. Hythe, Kent
Alfred J Sackett, son, 5, b. Rye, Sussex
Lavinia Sackett, dau, 2, b. Woodchurch, Kent
Annie Sackett, dau, 1, b. Woodchurch, Kent
William Hambrook, assistant, unm, 18, assistant schoolmaster, b. Acrise, Kent
George E Shuttleworth, boarder, 9, scholar, b. London
Ebenezer Edwards, boarder, 12, scholar, b. Northiam, Sussex
William Hunt, boarder, 10, scholar, b. Dymchurch, Kent
George S Hunt, boarder, 9, scholar, b. Dymchurch, Kent
Joseph Sillibourne, boarder, 13, scholar, b. Bilsington, Kent
Kate Harden, servant, 16, domestic servant, b. Ham Street, Kent.
- 1881 Census for England & Wales, FHL 1341241, PRO RG11/1014/16/26
Hythe St Leonard, Kent
George Young, head, widower, 32, b. Hythe, Kent, grocer
Eva Young, dau, 5, b. Hythe, scholar
Alfred Sackett, nephew, 15, b. Rye, Sussex, grocers assistant
Eliza Underdown, serv, unmarried, 29, b. Tenterden, Kent, house keeper.
- 1891 England census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, RG12, piece 3265, folio 11, p. 18, GSU roll 6098375
2 Anne St, Cheetham (St Mark), Manchester, Lancashire
Alf J Sackett, head, married, 25, commercial clerk, b. Sussex, Rye
Millian Sackett, wife, 19, b. Lanc, Manchester.
- 1901 Census for England & Wales, 158/181
5 Francis Terrace, Private (2 rooms)
Alfred J Sackett, head, married, 35, selling agent, own account, b. Rye, Sussex
Lydia Sackett, wife, 32, b. Hull, Yorkshire
Alma Sackett, dau, 2, b. Hull.
- 1911 Channel Islands census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, Ollivier Street, St Anne's, Alderney
Sackett, Alfred James, head, 45, married, clerk, granite merchant, resident, b. Rye, Sussex, father b. Hythe, Kent
Sackett, Lydia, wife, 41, m. 17y, 6 ch., 3 living, b. Hull, Yorkshire, father b. Hull
Sackett, Alma, dau, 12, b. Hull, Yorkshire, father b. Rye, Sussex
Sackett, Leslie, son, 5, b. St Sampson's, Guernsey, father b. Rye, Sussex
Sackett, Douglas, son, 3, b. St Sampson's, Guernsey, father b. Rye, Sussex.
|Sackett line||8th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder|
|Last Edited||19 May 2019|