Register 76 (1922): 74–5
Genealogical Research in England
William Jenkin, [s. Thomas & Margaret (___)Jenkin], of Minster in Thanet, co. Kent, yeoman, the testator of 1639/40, baptized at Coldred, co. Kent, 2 June 1594, was buried at Minster 17 Feb. 1639/40. He married at St. Peter's in Thanet, co. Kent, 24 Feb. 1616/17 (by licence issued 11 Feb. 1616/17, being then of St. John's in Thanet (Margate), co. Kent), Mary Sackett of St. Peter's in Thanet, perhaps the Mary Jenkin, widow, who was bur. at Minster 28 ___ 1659. Her will, dated 11 Oct. 1656, when she was of Birchington in Thanet, was proved 20 Sept. 1661. She was sister of Rev. John Sackett, rector of Great Mongeham, co. Kent, and of William Sackett, and was probably daughter of John Sackett of St Peter's in Thanet, yeoman.
William Jenkin was a citizen of Canterbury in 1614 and later removed to Minster. In 1630 he was summoned to appear before the King's commissioners to compound for not having received kinghthood at the King's coronation, although he had £40 in land or rent.
i. Thomas, of Minster in Thanet, yeoman, bapt. at St. Peter's in Thanet 30 Aug. 1618; d. in Oct. 1666; m. (1) at St. John's in Thanet, by licence issued 13 Nov. 1638, Elizabeth Curling of St. John's, aged about 15, dau. of Anthony of St John's, yeoman; m. (2) at Folkestone, co. Kent, 14 Mar. 1653/4, Margaret Jenkin, who d. on 1703, dau. of Henry of Canterbury, of the Folkestone family, the testator of 1664, and his wife, Mary (Whittingham). Children by first wife: 1. Elizabeth, m. ___ Cullen. 2. Mary, bapt. at Minster 11 July 1641. 3. William, bapt. at Minster 11 May 1643; bur. there 17 May 1643. 4. Thomas, bapt. at Minster 9 Jan. 1644/5; bur. there in 1659. 5. William, b. 12 Dec. and bapt. 25 Dec. 1646; perhaps the child who was bur. at Minster in 1646. 6. William, of Minster, yeoman, bapt. at Minster 27 Jan. 1648/9; m. at St. Mildred, Canterbury, by licence issued 6 Dec. 1669, Elizabeth Jenkin of St Mildred, Canterbury, aged 22, dau. of Henry, deceased, the testator of 1664, and his wife Mary (Whittingham), and sister of William's stepmother, Margaret Jenkin, widow of his father. 7. Daniel, bapt. at Minster 20 Aug. 1651; d. unm. Children by second wife, bapt. at Minster: 8. Rev. Henry, rector of Rentonholm and vicar of Silney, co. Norfolk, bapt. 4 Aug. 1655; m. Susannah Hatfield of Lynn, co. Norfolk; three sons, of whom two were clergymen. 9. Rev. Robert, D.D., master of St. John's College, Cambridge, bapt. 31 Jan. 1656/7; d. 7 Apr. 1727; bur. at Lynn, co. Norfolk. 10. John, of Canterbury, bapt. 20 Feb. 1658/9; appointed a judge in Ireland by KIng William III. 11. Margaret, bapt. 1 Jan. 1660/1; m. Rev. John Johnson, vicar of Appledore and Margate, co. Kent.
ii. Anna (Hannah), bapt. at St. Peter's in Thanet 3 Dec. 1620; living 14 Oct. 1656; m. at Minster in Thanet, 20 May 1639,, John Franklin (or Francklyn) of Petham, co. Kent, yeoman, aged about 22, living 14 Oct. 1656, s. of Henry of Petham, yeoman. Child: 1. Mary, living 14 Oct. 1656.
iii. Margaret, under twenty on 12 Feb. 1639/40; living 14 Oct. 1656; m. before that date John Pamphlet, living at that date. Children, living 14 Oct. 1656: 1. Mary. 2. Elizabeth. 3. Ann.
iv. Mary, bur. at St. Peter's in Thanet 5 Mar. 1625/6.
v. Mary, under eighteen on 12 Feb. 1639/40; living 14 Oct. 1656; m. before that date Richard Hart (or Harty), living at that date. Children, living 14 Oct. 1656: 1. Mary, under fifteen on 14 Oct. 1656. 2. William. 3. Richard. 4. Valentine.
1. Hasted's History of Kent, second edition,vol. 10, p. 234.
2. Cf. marriage licence of Henry Jenken of Canterbury, issued 10 May 1623, supra, p. 67.
3. In Berry, op. cit., p. 485, Elizabeth, William, and Daniel are given as children of Thomas Jenkin by his second wife; but the records show that William and Daniel were children by the first wife, and Elizabeth was probably a child by the first wife. Cf. entries in the parish registers and transcripts of Minster in Thanet, supra, p. 64, and thw marriage licence of William Jenkin, issued 6 Dec. 1669, supra, p. 68.
4. Berry, op. cit., p. 485, calls him Rev. William Jenkin, of Lynn (co. Norfolk).
5. Cf. the marriage licence, supra, p. 68. For descendants of William and Elizabeth Jenkin see Berry, op. cit., p. 485.
6. All information about the children of Thomas Jenkin by his second wife, except the records of baptism, has been taken from Berry, op. cit., p. 485.
7. For descendants of Rev. Henry and Susannah (Hatfield) Jenkin see Berry, op. cit., p. 485.
8. Cf. also Hasted's History of Kent, second edition, vol. 10, p. 234.
9. 20 May 1640, according to the Consistory transcript of the parish registers of Minster in Thanet; but the licence was issued 18 May 1639, and the marriage was probably solemnized in the same year.